New to the Aqaurium scene

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alii922

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just recently got a tank (20gal) with two dalmation mollies, 1plain white Molly, a red wag play, and a sunburst wag platy, the red wag is pregnant, and so is one of the dalmation mollies, and the white molly. When we first got the tank, we had 3 Dalmatians, the red wag, 3 cardinal tetras and 3 painted glass fish, they got ich and only the red wag and 2 Dalmatians survived so we had to add another female Molly to evn out wit the male and we thought the sunburst added a pop of color too. We have a 10 gal tank set up for when they give birth to the fry, but we are still kinda unsure of the proper care of fry, do the need a heater, filter etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
Just recently got a tank (20gal) with two dalmation mollies, 1plain white Molly, a red wag play, and a sunburst wag platy, the red wag is pregnant, and so is one of the dalmation mollies, and the white molly. When we first got the tank, we had 3 Dalmatians, the red wag, 3 cardinal tetras and 3 painted glass fish, they got ich and only the red wag and 2 Dalmatians survived so we had to add another female Molly to evn out wit the male and we thought the sunburst added a pop of color too. We have a 10 gal tank set up for when they give birth to the fry, but we are still kinda unsure of the proper care of fry, do the need a heater, filter etc..

You have to keep the fry tank as clean as possible! I do daily water changes of 50% for my fry tank. The cleaner the water, the faster they will grow. I feed my fry Hikari first bites, but any finely crushed flake food will do. Just make sure it is a powder. They are tropical, so yes they need a heater. IMO, all fish require a filter...with that being said, I have discovered the perfect filter for fry! They have little filters at Walmart that run off an air pump. They have a very low flow, but are very good at cleaning! They run about $12 each, plus the cost if the air pump. Your fry WILL get sucked up in it! It is going to happen. Just dump them out of the filter, back into the tank! They will not be injured at all! Good luck!

I figured as much with the heater, but I read somewhere online that they didn't right away, thought id come here and get advice frm experience..thanks tho, that was a lot of help, and I'm so excited to watch these fish get bigger, my husband had to talk me into gettin fish, and now I'm so attached to the tank and watchin them swim around lol looks like ill be makin a walmart run this week..

Back
Top Bottom