Nice Ram Spawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I'm sure they were no where near the quality of mine. My LFS sells rams all the time that are locally bred for $13 each and mine are better than those as well. Also, didn't you have them die on you???

so bs6749...how many tanks do you have? and how much of your day is taken up caring for your fish? this is just out of curiousity...i enjoy breeding my fish but I never thought it could yield a profit

Right now I have a 100g community tank with a breeding pair of discus in addition to 5 other discus, 8 angels, a handful of ABN plecos, a large female brown BN pleco, and a couple dozen neon tetras and some rasboras. Then I have my 55g tank, which is currently housing 8 sub adult discus, my breeding pair of rams, a lone female ram, and 3 ABN plecos. I pulled the eggs from this tank to work with them.

I also have a 29g tank with over 100 Endlers and about 20 rams growing out. Then I have a couple of tanks with shrimp that I breed and sell, including a 29g RCS tank, 10g snowball shrimp tank, a 10g yellow shrimp tank, and a 10g CRS/CBS tank. I also have a 10g tank with pretty much nothing in it. I'll be moving the ram fry to that tank eventually. I'll probably be selling off a decent portion of my fish if the rams take off. I am just starting to get them going hopefully if all goes well.

I do PWC's on different tanks on different days. I might spend 10 hours per week messing around with my tanks not including selling stuff.

Right now nowhere near me carries rams because they have a really high dieoff rate. Also some stores don't carry otos or khulis for the same reason.

I was reading that you put some hydrogen peroxide into the water... From 2 years of high school chem... was that to disinfect the water, or to keep it disinfected... because when hydrogen peroxide reacts with oxygen it produces water... Normally I hear people using something like methylene blue.

I was reading that you put some hydrogen peroxide into the water... From 2 years of high school chem... was that to disinfect the water, or to keep it disinfected... because when hydrogen peroxide reacts with oxygen it produces water... Normally I hear people using something like methylene blue.

It is used for fungus control (disinfectent) from what I've read. I currently use the meth blue for my egg hatching process. From what I understand the hydrogen peroxide advantage is it's cheaper, and goes away after a day. Meth blue only is eleminated by water changes. So the hydrogen peroxide might also make the process easier, you just have to add it every day until you don't need it, unlike the meth blue.

Is this a correct assesment bs6749 ? :confused:

how do u know how much of either the meth blue or peroxide to add? do u just drip it in the top or the tank or put it right down in near the babies?

Most breeders tend to use malachite green for treating the water. I added a drop of Quick Cure, which contained formalin and malachite green, in addition to a half of a capful of H2O2. The general "rule" for H2O2 is one capful per 5-10 gallons every 12 hours but it won't hurt to add a little more IME. Just put it in the tank, no need to put it on or near the eggs. It will spread out with the help of an airstone.

man disappointing with the wings huh? i am most defiantely gunn be looking for a par of rams in the near future, could ya hook me up whenever they are mature enough? i got a paypal and just curious, but could they just be normal shipped cuz we're close-ish to eachother?

Any updates bs? I'm curious to see how the rams are doing. I love your spawn logs, very interesting to see what you feed the fry at different stages.

PS - Sorry the Wings couldn't pull through for you! Lord Stanley is safe here in the 'burgh though, don't worry! :) Just kidding..!

Back
Top Bottom