NOOB, breeding Molly Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SunnyGoldfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,
I know I am still new. But I have a ton of questions. So I have been doing A TON of research on breeding Molly fish. So I am getting a tank this week or the next, and here are my specific questions.
-Do I need to wait until a certain time of year to breed Molly's?
-If so, when is that?
-I'm planning on 2 males, 2 females together in a 15gallon
-Also PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, tell me anything you know about breeding Molly's or fish in general. I really don't want to fail on this!
Thank you for taking YOUR time to read this! I really appreciate it!
I'm really looking forward to your answers!!!
-Your fellow friend, SunnyGoldfish

A 15G is a too small. 30G Breeder would be better. 40G Breeder would be even better if you intend to add a few other fish with the Mollies.
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/1058/dalmatian-molly?pcatid=1058&c=830+1101+1058

One male is enough for 2 females. Mollies can get large, like 4-5 inches, and they pretty much will likely be preggo if they are in a tank with males.

Getting your tank cycled would be good too.

The thing about breeding is that you will need 2 fry tanks minimum. One for the tiny babies and one for a grow out tank when they get a little larger but not necessarily ready to get into the main tank.

Also what are you planning to do with the fish when they get larger?

It is really easy to end up with so many fish you can't find homes for them fast enough!

Having a live food option or 2 is great for new baby fish. Culturing several kinds will make your breeding even more successful.

Daphnia, baby Brine shrimp (bbs), Vinegar eels, green water, Insuforia, and Microworms. Not listed in order of size.

Hello, thanks for your help!+

Thanks SO much! I appreciate it! I'm so sorry, I said I would be specific, but I wasn't really.

-I was planning on a 15gallon for the fish I will breed (three, adults)
-I have 3 other tanks for the fry, and middle aged fry (once grown, still too small for adults)
-I have people (that I know personally) who already want the fish, so I know I won't end up with that many extra. Plus other members of my family would like some. I'm also obviously keeping some!
-The Molly adult fish will be the only fish in that tank. No others
-Also what if I just had 1 male, 1 female, Would I still be successful. Or is it safer to have two females!?
-I have a plan for live food, but could I also feed them small pieces of fresh veggies and fruits? Thank you for telling me some of the live foods!
-I have looked at a bunch of fry tanks and filters. But I haven't been very successful, any recommendations?

Again thank you so much! I'm sure you remember being a beginner. HAHA!Looking forward to more of everyone BRILLIANT answers!

Everyone is a beginner somewhere along the line. Yes I still remember the first batch of Guppy fry and how intense it seemed.

It runs along the lines of a first time parent (of humans), generally is SUPER particular and worried about so many little things with that 1st child. By the 2nd, or 3rd child, parents are much more relaxed and realize that so many things that seemed important the 1st time around, aren't that much so. And key - that there are a few really important things to be vigilant on.

Good food,
water changes - either a little every day for fry, or a little more every other day
Keeping the babies out of the mouth of bigger fish
Testing to make sure the extra feeding isn't polluting the tank.

Really clean water allows the baby fish to grow better. Daily water changes will reward you with a better quality of fish.

It is important too, to select excellent examples of the breed to create babies. Not allow misshapen and cull fish to breed.

Which brings the subject to think about which is - what to do about cull fish? Feed to bigger fish, euthanize or allow to live out life in a separate location.

In my thinking, a 15G tank is just still a little small, for 4-5 inch fish to not feel cramped /stressed. They are in that tank being constantly chased. In the wild there are many females being chased at any one time, and there are wide open spaces for them to maybe get away from the group sometimes.

Having a couple females or 3 would be better than just a pair in a smaller space like a 20G long tank say.

If you cut out the shape from paper of a full grown Molly 5-6" for a female and about 4 inches for a male and add how many you are thinking for the tank, see how they would be in the tank moving around and living every day all day. The suggested tank size for Molly is 30G.

Sponge and matten filters are good for baby fish tanks.

Hoping you get some really good advice and more from Molly keepers.

Back
Top Bottom