odd balloon Molly behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a female balloon Molly that has been acting odd for about three hours now, she has been hiding allot, she has been darting forward and then backing up with her anal fin curled (she does this about four times moves to a different spot and does it again, my male won't leave her side and won't let any other fish near her. Her belly looks kinda blackish but I'm not sure what the gravid spot looks like on Mollies I've only had guppies. What could she be doing? She doesn't seem pregnant to me but I could be wrong. Any suggestions?
(note: the only reason she is in the box is so I could take a picture of her I'm not planning on keeping her in there)

If there's a male present, or has been in the past few months, there's just no reason why she wouldn't be pregnant, so I would assume she is.

I want to make sure you know that balloon mollies are bred to be deformed with short bodies and curved spines. This often causes them swimming issues, increased health problems, and shortened lifespan. Typically in the hobby, if a fish is born deformed, it is culled, but in this scenario, they are actually breeding them and making a profit off of them. In my personal opinion it is unethical and rather disgusting so I like to make sure other hobbyists realize this is what is happening and encourage them to purchase/breed only standard "normal" mollies.

siva said:
If there's a male present, or has been in the past few months, there's just no reason why she wouldn't be pregnant, so I would assume she is.

I want to make sure you know that balloon mollies are bred to be deformed with short bodies and curved spines. This often causes them swimming issues, increased health problems, and shortened lifespan. Typically in the hobby, if a fish is born deformed, it is culled, but in this scenario, they are actually breeding them and making a profit off of them. In my personal opinion it is unethical and rather disgusting so I like to make sure other hobbyists realize this is what is happening and encourage them to purchase/breed only standard "normal" mollies.

I wasn't encouraging them to breed nor was I trying to prevent it, I had purchased three balloon Mollies and my lfs had told me they were all female, that was before I knew how to sex them, that was almost two months ago. I had no clue about the deformities though.

Yeah you can't really prevent the breeding. If there's a male around, the females should be contantly prego. They also hold sperm for several months, so even if you pick up all females they can still give you babies for a while.

Theres nothing wrong with breeding balloon mollies they actally look quite cool but try not to inbreed them that will be bad

Well I wasn't planning on breeding Mollies because I have pregnant guppies, one momma already had 36 babies and my nursery tank can only hold so many. I bought the Mollies because it was suggested to me that they would be a good community fish with the guppies

Back
Top Bottom