OK to put pregnant platy in with fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dammagpies

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 4 1/2 inch Platy fry in their own tank so they can grow before I put them in my community tanks. Would it be OK to put my pregnant Platy in with them to give birth or is she likely to bully/eat them?

I'm also worried that the fry just seem to be sitting at the bottom of the tank and not feeding

Platy Fry

I have 4 1/2 inch Platy fry in their own tank so they can grow before I put them in my community tanks. Would it be OK to put my pregnant Platy in with them to give birth or is she likely to bully/eat them?

I'm also worried that the fry just seem to be sitting at the bottom of the tank and not feeding

Hello Dam...

You can put the female in with larger fry. Keep all the fish well fed and the adults will pay little or no attention to the fry. Livebearers, like your Platy, need a lot of cover on the surface. I would get some floating stem plants like Anacharis and Pennywort into the tank. Plants make the fish feel more comfortable.

B

I didn't even separate my mother from babies. The first batch of fry, I didn't realize she was pregnant. The second batch I just provided a bunch more plants and hiding places. I keep my community tank well fed and guppies and platies leave the fry alone.

My problem is that I have Pakistani Loach in my main community tank and as far as I'm aware they will eat fry, hence the question

Back
Top Bottom