Only released 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iowaguy27

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a mickey mouse platy and she only released 4 fry. She is still plump and you can see there are more fry in there. What would make them only release a few fry and not the whole batch?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Livebearers and Fry

I have a mickey mouse platy and she only released 4 fry. She is still plump and you can see there are more fry in there. What would make them only release a few fry and not the whole batch?

Hello IA...

Your female is waiting for you to change the tank water. You can encourage the births by keeping the tank water cleaner and warmer. Hopefully, you've been good about changing a lot of tank water and changing it frequently, all your female needs to drop the fry is a large water change. Make the new, treated tap water a little warmer than the rest in the tank and add just a bit of standard aquarium salt to the new water. A teaspoon for every 5 gallons will do. Salt has a calming affect on the fish and drop in some stems of Brazilian water weed. The floating plant helps filter the tank of any toxins left from fish wastes. It also makes for good hiding places for the fry and a good diet supplement.

B

Thanks for the advice I'll try doing another water change I did one just about 3 days ago. I also turned the temp up but only a couple degrees.
uze7upeg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom