Opaline Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LandLocked

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think one of my Opaline Gourami is pregnant. I noticed it's belly yesterday after feeding but just kinda figured it was a good meal. Today before feeding it still has the belly, and yes I'm 90% that it's a female. I have 2 opaline, one has a dorsal that is pointed and almost flowy that goes all the way past the start of the tail fin and the one I think could be pregnant has a very short round dorsal that goes about halfway to the start of the tail. The fish in question is acting different, it non stop picks around the bottom then goes right up to the top grabs a breath then right back to the bottom. I have seen this for about the last hour, I was not watching before that so I don't know, last night it was fine. My tank is half open top and my sump is all open but that top breathing makes me feel like she isn't getting enough o2. Is this normal behavior IF it is pregnant. Should I be doing anything for these fish like prenatal care or do they just breed like cats and you just deal with it. Sorry no pics my lights are off

I have opaline gourami. I love them. They are beautiful fish. There is nothing wrong with the fish breathing at the top they always do that. They are a labyrinth fish. That means they breath other than with gills.

As for breeding. I haven't ever tried to breed them. I know that they lay eggs, and you have to do several things when they start to spawn. Things like lowering tank water level, and removing ether the male or female after spawning. Google gourami breeding, and you should find good instructions.

I have dwarf gourami too and I have read about them top breathing but for me it has been really rare until today and it's only the pregnant one doing it and non stop. I was just hoping that the symptoms didn't indicate an illness rather then breeding. I was thinking I would have seen a bubble nest but I really don't know, I'm just reading stuff.
So I see how you guys appears to be total nuts with your long list of tanks but now I can see that it just happens, it's almost out of your hands or control. Thats what I'm going with.

Back
Top Bottom