Oscar breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I read your test results correctly, nitrite 1, nitrate 80 ?.. Nitrite should always be zero, and nitrate, while it's said that up to 50 ppm is safe, 80 is too high and it won't be helping fish that already have worms, poor things.

Water change to get the nitrite back to zero and reduce the nitrates.

Yea I did a bit. Of reading when I seen it was that high so I did a 50% water change and medicated the tank their all looking better pooping out the worms I'm going to vacuum again after work so there is not junk on the ground.. thx for ur help every one else wanted to be rude because I really don't kno a lot about fish and jumped the gun by getting so many so quick but thx for your help without you they would have prob died =)

They seem to be doing better still pooping out the white so today. I'm going to treat it again do u think I should change the water again even tho I just did a almost 50% 2days ago?

Hello..ok so I fed my oscars some feeder fish about 3 days ago now and there poop started to turn kinda pale transparent.. could it be parasites again?? I will never feed them live fish again if it is I was doing sooo good .. any advice?

I wish I kept cichlids, if only so I'd have some experience with them. I am not sure if this sort of poop indicates parasites or whether it is just a dietary change. What sort of feeder fish did you use ?

I can tell you one thing though. If you want to feed live food, the best thing is to raise your own, so you know they are clean and healthy. Feeder fish are often guppies, which reproduce quickly. A tank of guppies would provide a ongoing source of live feeders.

Though it costs more, frozen live foods are usually safe, as anything they might have carried is killed by the freezing, especially in regards to things like bloodworms. You can also get frozen daphnia, or Baby Brine Shrimp. There's frozen mysis shrimp, very nutritious, and also regular frozen Brine shrimp, but unless you buy the ones that were fed spirulina, they have little nutritional value. Only the baby ones are really good food, and it's not always easy to find frozen BBS.

There are a lot of other live foods too. Are these fish are still fairly small ? Microworms, though very tiny, will be eaten in large numbers by smaller fish, until they get too big to bother with them. And microworms are easy to keep, you feed them baker's yeast and change their oatmeal substrate every few weeks to keep it from getting too sour.

And if you are willing, you can keep fruit flies too. Fish love flies and also their larvae, and they're not that hard to keep. You get the sort that are flightless, so no flies up your nose :). Melanogaster, either Turks or Apterous [wingless], will do. There is a larger species, but it's harder to raise and has a much longer life cycle, that's Hydei, and I find the Melanogaster are just easier.

Larger Oscars will also take small crickets, which you can buy at most pet stores that sell reptiles, they're the most common feeder insect for herps. If you can find some, bean beetles are good too. These are larger than flies, up to a bit over 1/8 inch, & they only need black eyed peas to live on. No water, just a layer of dry peas.

You can dust any feeder insect with a bit of vitamin and mineral powder to load them with extra nutrients.

Edit.. Ok, sorry, I refreshed my mind and read the whole post.. NOT a small fish, so forget microworms. Larger fish can easily handle larger crickets, dusted to enhance nutrition.. you get the powder to dust them where you get the crickets, and the other insects are worth trying, if you are the type who is willing to culture such things. If not, go frozen, or breed guppies.

But I found this on another site, and it might be worth trying, since you have already been through a lot .

Gel-Tek Ultra Cure PX
Ultra Cure PX is a revolutionary way to treat internal parasites in both freshwater and saltwater fish. With metronidazole and praziquantel, Ultra Cure PX helps control a variety of parasites such as intestinal worms, nematodes, tapeworms, flagellates, fish heartworms, and hexamita. Innovative Gel-Teknology directly treats infected fish and helps prevent secondary infections, which can often occur during periods of infestations. Ultra Cure PX contains fish pheromones to entice and enhance feeding behavior without clouding the aquarium water. Ultra Cure PX is safe for all saltwater and freshwater fish and especially useful with catfish, cichlids, goldfish, and other bottom feeders.

Active Ingredients:
Praziquantel 0.0057%
Flubenol 0.03%
Metronidazole 0.30%

Directions for Use: Hold back all feeding for 1 day before using. Then use Ultra Cure PX as the only product offered to the fish when fed. Add to the aquarium with the dropper tip on the bottle. Hold bottle 2 inches above water surface and squeeze. Offer at least 5 drops per fish twice a day. Repeat every 24 hours for 3 days. For nocturnal fish, add drops when light is off at night.

Back
Top Bottom