Peacock gudgeon breeding experiences. (Text and pic heavy)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as I can tell, they breed 4 or 5 times every two weeks and then take a break for a few months. At least that's what these ones did. I'm getting better at predicting when they're going to start spawning by their color and shape. When the female is ready her belly gets fat and yellow. The male shows off in front of his 1/2 inch pvc pipe. One they're in there together, there's eggs in one or two days at which time he chases her out and stays with the eggs till they hatch. He won't even come out to eat so I put food directly in front of his face inside the pipe. Definitely fascinating to watch them. He was really mad at me this time when I took the pipe out. Flared at me and attacked my hand. He stayed flared up for a few minutes.

Ok. Got ya. I played around with em a few times yrs ago. No luck. Have always wanted to give em another shot. Thanks for the info i appreciate it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The eggs that I placed on the sponge filter output hatched the next day but instead of wigglers all the fry were already free swimming. Fed vinegar eels and Hakari first bites for 5 days an now feeding Artemia and first bites with s little crushed flake. I like to get them used to the prepared foods asap. There's about 30 in this batch. Here's a pic although it's real hard to see. They are the tiny white dots.

100179-albums14358-picture69151.jpg

Here's a pic of the first batches I started raising months ago, maybe 6 months old. They're getting big! Biggest one is a little over an inch.

100179-albums14358-picture69149.jpg

100179-albums14358-picture69150.jpg

Awesome!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

The fry and free swimmers look great!
I dig the tube on the sponge output!
We must become creative often to achieve success!
Say when.......

Hey hey!
looking for update and to arrange a swap(you know) before the snow flies!
How are these guys doing???

These are some of my favorite fish. I lost mine but that's a long story. I'd like to have a few again one day also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I picked up a pair on a whim today(nice ripe female) I'm going try my hand at breeding instead of just keeping them this time. I've noticed that the female is the one doing the enticing, flaring and showing her belly. Is this typical behavior?

I can't remember about their little dance. You have tubes set up for them? Without tubes mine spawned in the funniest places.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I always used pvc pipe cut down to a few inches and 3 zip tied together. The males fan and guard the eggs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom