Pelvicachromis pulcher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 3 fmeale kribs, I thought I was purchasing one male and 2 females but the person I bought them from obviously missed when he tried sexing them. They have just recently started showing spawning colors, at least two of them have, the other is still a little smaller.

After searching high and low to find a male krib to add to this group, I managed to find one at a LFS not too far from me who sells them. I purchased one who appeared to be pretty big and when I got him home and added him to my tank, he appeared even bigger. He's about 3 times larger then the females. So now I'm wondering whether or not he will spawn with any of my females, is this likley to happen where he is so much larger?

I was going to bring him back but he is really starting to grow on me. When I first brought him home, he hid in a clay pot for 3 days, wouldn't even come out to eat! Lately, he's become Mr. Personality, coming out to the front of the tank to greet me and following me as I walk around the tank. He's not as coloful as the female but he is still be pretty, I just want to see my females spawn, that's why I bought them in the first place.

Any thought or advice?

They may not spawn at first but as the females mature I would suspect there is a good chance they will spawn. As long as there are no aggression issues if you have gotten attached to him, no reason to return him IMO. Time will tell if they will spawn for sure or not.

Mr. Krib is very lucky! With 3 females, you're almost guaranteed at least one spawn, but sometimes they'll mate with more than one lucky lady. You'll be overrun in no time. Just use a little patience as the females are maturing and they get a few practice spawns out of the way.
I don't think their relative size will be an issue. My male is nearly twice the size as my female. She's actually more frisky than he is - she pesters him all the time with her little courtship dances, lol. However, they'd already paired off when I bought them.
Good luck with them and let us know when you get babies!

Back
Top Bottom