Pink convict breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWFishTanks

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do these go for good money? I can't seem to find any prices online, and I want to know their average retail.

Do I keep the parents with the fry as the fry grow? Do I leave just one parent? Or is no parents the best way?

Convicts are prolific breeders and in general are not worth much. Normal convicts are 2-3$, I'm not immediately sure on pinks, but I think they are $5-6 range. Sell price to a retailer would likely be much less. Don't hold me to that, these are out of my expertise but I used to sell to a wholesaler and got around 35-45% of the fishes future resell value. This was on bulk orders always over 100 at a time. A few people told me I was being underpaid, a few said they couldn't believe I got that much so I can't say for certain if that is a competitive rate.

That is exactly why I chose pink convicts, because normal convicts go for nothing here, except for feeders. I could also do calico convicts, as I haven't got fish yet

If you want to breed for profit I would say leave the convicts alone all together. They are one of the easiest cichlids to breed and the market is saturated. You are adding to that saturation. Find a species who isn't as easy to breed and the value will go up. If your determined to do convicts I'd say the pinks are a good bet. Price list on live aquaria for pink convicts is $7.99, so that's pretty decent. 200% of the price of regular convicts.

I'll probably stick to convicts, or other similar breeders. I do not want an expensive initial startup, and this is my first cichlid I'm breeding. Is there any other relative inexpensive cichlid that stays under 6-7 inches I could do? Fire mouths were a consideration

Well many of the shell dwellers stay small and are more rare. Peacock cichlids stay within that size and are easy to breed but don't bring much more in price. If the convicts interest you I would stay with them, just have a plan together for selling them before they over populate on you.

I'll probably do convicts or fire mouths. Do fire mouths breed the same way?

I'll probably do convicts or fire mouths. Do fire mouths breed the same way?

Yes but they are as worthless as convicts. I'd look into something like Cryptoheros sajica, nanoluteus, or panamensis. They are prolific breeders and you'll make a few bucks. I've bred nearly 50 species of central and south American cichlids and you'll never make any money if that's what your looking to do. Between tanks, maintenance, supplies, and food its not what's it's cracked up to...

Sry for not replying sooner, I'll give it a shot with some prolific cichlids unless there are some more profitable egg layers I could do with relatively simple breeding

I have looked into it more and if I do convicts, I will probably do calicos. Is there any more profitable fish I can breed in a 40 gallon tub and only that one tub? (Got it yesterday)

I looked online and it seems bristlenose plecos are where it's at. Would longfin bristlenose breeding be a good idea in the tub?

PM Kama55, they breed blue eyed L144's long fin and short fin, albino and brown I think.

Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom