planted tanks and breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knowsam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had planted tanks in the past and was looking to set another one up in my new appartment. I have aquariums primarily for the plants and that's really my major focus. Is it possible to have a functioning planted tank and still try breeding fish? I want to retain the esthetics of my tank and I'm not really interested in a glass bottom tank etc. Is it possible with a bit of planning? Also can anyone give me an idea of which fish are easy to breed, medium and only for master breeders.

Thanks Sean

Absolutely, you can breed fish in a planted tank. If you are just wanting something real nice, go with a trio of German Blue Rams. Not only are they a beautiful fish, but are a fish you can even sell much easier than others. A lot of lfs's can use more of them, and if you have a good batch of GBR's, coming from a good environment they will be much healthier than ones from the lfs and people will come to you before going to the lfs.

Another fish that's easy to breed, and is in fairly high demand, is Bolivian Rams. They are just a little bigger than the GBR's, but are much more hardy. So if you have harder water, and don't want to risk it with a sensative fish, go with the Bolivians rather than the GBR. But either way, they are both awsome fish.

Any suggestions on a fish that is both possible in a planted tank and on the more challenging side? I'd do it more for the challenge than for the sale - though if its easy to give to the LFS all the better. (I'm not saying the ones you've suggested are easy - I have no idea).
Sean

I would have to agree with LWB on the Rams. If you are interested in a more challenging fish, angels come to mind. Tetras are said to be almost impossible to breed in the home aquarium but I know of those who have had success.

Any suggestions on a fish that is both possible in a planted tank and on the more challenging side? I'd do it more for the challenge than for the sale - though if its easy to give to the LFS all the better. (I'm not saying the ones you've suggested are easy - I have no idea).
Sean
We posted at the same time - thanks for the suggestions.

I would say German Blue Rams. They are easy to breed, but are a very sensative fish, and would be really a challenge to keep the young alive. This is my first time with breeding them, and out of about 275+ fry, I'm down to 10 survivors. They are so sensative that when I did a 10% PWC, it took out over half of them. Just keeping them alive is the challenging part.

Go with the Apistogramma Panduro or even the Apisto Njissi these are two of the hardest to breed. They will breed but keeping the water and evierment to there likings is a real chanllage also. I have both and out of both of them. I have only spawned The Panduro once with only 20 to 30 eggs in the fry. With none making it. You will find that with most of the Apistogramma spices there is a challenges to them.
I have spawned the Apisto Cockato double and triple red's quit easyly and even the Apisto agssizii red tail. But havn't had any of the red tail fry surive more then the wiggler stage. So if your looking for a challanges try the Apistogramma spices.
All of the Apistogramma spice need planted tanks with drift wood also the panduro is the fish in my vator and like the tanners from the driftwood to breed.
And Jeff have you noticed that when someone ask about a good breeding spices you say The rams, I always say Apistogramma's LOL is that not funny. I thank so. LOL

Oh yea now your talking. I'm a huge huge krib fan now as you know. I'm a Apistogramma speculized, But after Pimp and his weekday named ladies and 9 frys from them. whatching the parents not just one but both parents help with the fry and seeing them take the little one's on a swim around the tank. Yea I'm a huge Krib fan.
Those work great in a plnted tank and with the right pair they'll produce fry after fry for you. I have a pair just waitting for you Jeff , or anybody. LOL I'm only up 300+

Back
Top Bottom