Platty fry massacre?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markstanfill

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive never had a breeding occur before, but Ive never really kept any fish that would do so easily without any help whatsoever. It appears that my sunburst platties have had a few kids. I was under the impression that they have somewhere around 30+ fry typically. Ive spotted 2 today when I was just sitting in my recliner watching tv. The tank is stocked with 16 neon tetras, 4 platties 2m/2f, 5 otos, 5 SAEs, 1 rubberlip pleco, and some undetermined teens number of amano and ghost shrimp. The tank is a heavily planted 56 gallon tank 30x18x24, metal halide lighting, pressurized co2, blah blah, 77.5 degrees F, and PH near 7.0 by my drop checker. No measurable ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate levels. So my question is, other than the other platties is there anything else that could have eaten the fry? Suppose the neons could have too. I wont be uprooting plants to catch the little guys so anyone think these last survivors will make it?

Ive had my platies breed, and usually the others munch on the fry. Easy, high protein meal for them LOL

Some may be deep in hiding or the platies may have eaten them. I'd be very shocked to see a platy drop 30 at once though so I don't think you're missing as many as you may think..

Every fish in there but the Ottos will eat the fry. Neons just swim by and gulp them as they go. HN1 is right, the most I have ever seen born is 15 and that was in a breeders trap before she even started, so all were acounted for.

Back
Top Bottom