platy babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purrfect

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This morning I found one platy dead. It was one of those I bought two days ago. I decided to do 30 % water change, allthoug all the parameters were fine. While emptying the tank I found three babies there. Maybe it was their mama that had died.

Well, anyway, I have only an empty one and half gallon betta tank from earlier days. I put the babies there. Is there any change to keep them alive for a while there? There is no filter, no heating. Lamp can heat it, but then I need to have it on especially at night, when the house gets cool. There is an air pump and a few plastic plants. Or should I just put them back with the adults? There is a few hiding places, but not too many. The red adult platties seem to go in those roots in the evening to rest anyway. I have six adult platties in 30 gallon tank. Probably more babies coming soon again. Should I get a cage for the fry or something?

Well, I have yet to raise a batch of livebearer fry. I may set up a breeding tank in the future, but for now I have added plastic floating plants in the community tank to provide cover for the next fry release. I am hoping that a few of the platy fry will get big enough to evade my juvenile angels, the danios and the other platies by hiding in the floating cover. My LFS has a platy tank with four fry hiding in these plants, so it might work.

Back
Top Bottom