Platy Breeding non-existent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have the coolest looking sunburst wag platy and have had him for about 6 months in with 7 females and 1 other male, which he is always chasing if he isnt trying to knock up the females and he tries. The problem is that he hasnt yet and im worried he is shooting blanks or something. His colloring is so cool and i am hoping he mates with any of them. preferably the other sunbursts and not the rainbow blue but id take anything at this point. I dont have an extra tank. My 10 gallon is filled with 30+ fry from the rainbow that i bought pregnant 3 months ago and the fry are 3 months old yet still small. the largest are only about half an inch. Im waiting till i can see which colors i like keep those for breeding then give away the rest.

This is what i have in the tank:
7 platys
(females)
1 sunburst wag
1 sunburst
1 sunburst mickey mouse
1 rainbow blue
1 yellow twinbar
(males)
1 sunburst wag
1 sunburst

3 neon tetras
3 bronze corys
1 rubber nose pleco
1 red tail shark
1 ADF

You should get a cheap 5 gal tank or a mating net and select the male And female of ur choice. Also feeding the babies more then once a day with certain food helps the grow I think. U should go to ur local pet store and ask about that.

Do you see him mating?? if there no mating going on, turn the heat up a couple degrees and I tell ya its like oysters, chocolates and body massages for fishies :)

I also wanted to add thats alot of fish for a 10 gallon, I dont have that many in my 20 gallon, make sure you have really good filtration and check your water parameters and do your PWC religiously!! :)

The male should definately be mature he is kinda big. The females arent getting big and no gravid spot at all i know they arent pregnat
I do feed the babies twice a day atleast. The are big enough that i am using a HOB filter. I do a 35% weekly water change. I have lost any since two weeks after they were born.

Back
Top Bottom