Platy breeding success! What now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkfalcon

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I moved my pregnant platy to the empty fry tank yesterday night. Today when I got back from school I saw these baby fishes at the bottom of the tank. And there's a lot of them.

I turned off the filter to prevent them from getting sucked inside the filter (just in case). Since they're newly born (as of 3/28/2016 UTC +07:00), I don't know what should I feed them? Or maybe I should just wait for a week then give them daphnia or artemia (I only have frozen daphnia atm tho)?

And if you have more advices, it will be greatly appreciated!! :D

For my molly fry, I usually just crush flake very finely. It seems to work fine, and they grow well on it. But there are commercial fry foods available at some pet stores, and at most LFSs if you'd rather go that route. If you aren't using a filter at the moment, you might want to consider a bubbler and frequent water changes.

For my molly fry, I usually just crush flake very finely. It seems to work fine, and they grow well on it. But there are commercial fry foods available at some pet stores, and at most LFSs if you'd rather go that route. If you aren't using a filter at the moment, you might want to consider a bubbler and frequent water changes.

Since they're so small (1 day age) I'm afraid to do water changes lol. Should I try frozen daphnia? But since they're very small I doubt it'll enter their mouth lol. I do use a bubbler for their oxygen.

Platy fry I think are still too small for daphnia for a few days. Crushed up flake sounds best. But you really do want a filter there. Sponge filters are often used in fry tanks, and you could throw in some fast growing floating plants to help keep the water good. :idea:

If the aquarium has many plants that juveniles can not starve. On all leaves something small is to nibble. (Rotifers, algae). But if there are to be vigorous fish, must also be something else .BBs (freshly hatched), Grindal worms, chopped tubifex.
Livebearing occasionally need a good grade of synthetic feed. But not always!

The RCS make the young fish no harm.

Use 200-300 or 300-500 micron Golden Pearl and live baby brine shrimp. You can get what you need at Ken'sFish.com You need to feed from day #1.

Also, you can get fresh garlic in a white net bag. I take a piece wrap it around the end of some airline and use a rubber band to apply it. The use the airline as a siphon. I'd also get a couple of sponge filters from Ken and use them as fry will not get sucked up and will feed off the micro organisms.

Use 200-300 or 300-500 micron Golden Pearl and live baby brine shrimp. You can get what you need at Ken'sFish.com You need to feed from day #1.

Also, you can get fresh garlic in a white net bag. I take a piece wrap it around the end of some airline and use a rubber band to apply it. The use the airline as a siphon. I'd also get a couple of sponge filters from Ken and use them as fry will not get sucked up and will feed off the micro organisms.

Nice idea :D

Nice idea :D

I feed my guppies, Molly's, endlers mainly with crushed flakes, but I always buy the best brand, I do 3 few dings a day,morning crushed flakes, during lunch I feed them dried Daphnis that are crushed. They grow fast

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I feed my guppies, Molly's, endlers mainly with crushed flakes, but I always buy the best brand, I do 3 few dings a day,morning crushed flakes, during lunch I feed them dried Daphnis that are crushed. They grow fast

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Right now Im using frozen daphnia for their dinner and some powdered pellets in the morning or noon

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom