Platy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishywishywowoo

Aquarium Advice Activist
My platy gave birth to 30+ fry. I put then straight into a breeder net. They have literally all died? Is this likely stress related or premature birth? They did look small. She gave birth to like 3 at a time too? Have a distraught 4 year old :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What were you feeding them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They died within about 10-20 minutes of birth. I had some liquifry that I put a drop in initially

It is best to move the parents, rather than the fry...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

It was a surprise birth and had nowhere else to put like 8 platy, 5 Cory, 5 adf and 4 Ottos ; ) felt guilty leaving them in the tank to be eaten

Otto's are vegetarian only. The Cory cats shouldn't touch time.
Not sure about adf though.

If you have hiding spots, there has to be a few fry surviving. My friend has a boat in the tank while I have Java moss. A few make it to adulthood, which is good enough for me.

I have a large wood/plant in the middle. A moss ball and a moss shell thing. Plenty of hiding places but no survivors yet. Had then over a year now. The adf will eat them if they get a chance. Corys tend to leave them alone. The Ottos ignore everyone

They can't hide in a moss ball. Really :)
Java moss or places that larger fishes can't get in are the best hiding spots for baby fry.

My platties are bright orange, I only have 1 survivor while guppies avg 2-4 survivals.

The platty hid in the moss for almost 2 weeks before coming out, while the guppies goes unnoticed and came out after a week.

These are my main 2 hide outs

Attachments

• 1438799358179.jpg
    1438799358179.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 1438799398726.jpg
    1438799398726.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 53
As for the 4 year old, there should be more babies and sometimes if the baby fish aren't quite right they die. Kiss and a hug for the little one. Life and death, not happy but natural. Fortunately there should be MANY opportunities to see and raise babies from Platy. I wouldn't be surprised if there could be survivors hiding really well.

I make sure to feed the parents a tiny bit frequently during the birthing, if they eat it, so they don't get too hungry.

Check water parameters. Do a 30-50% pwc. Just a normal after a death thing to do. Did you have any soap or anything on your hands when you put in the breeder box...

I have about twenty 4 day old guppy fry in my 10g/35L planted tank with 4 adults and 4 pygmy corys and so far I keep counting more!! They have plenty of hiding spots and really I don't know what I'll do with another 20 fish, but hoping survival of the fittest will help reduce the numbers!
We've lost 9 adult guppies in the past, and each time my 4yo cried. But now she's happy we have babies. The life/death lesson has well and truly been learnt!

She's better now. Just waiting for more. We have 1 survivor from a previous batch but only see it every few days. I never touch them with my hands, I caught them in a fine soft net. Better luck next time I hope

Holy crappppppppppp I have 3 female and 2 male platys. I think all 3 fems gave birth at once. I managed to rescue about 15 not sure how many were born. Out of guilt not wanting them to be eaten I made a great fry crib lol. But wtf am I gonna do with 15 platys?

Holy crappppppppppp I have 3 female and 2 male platys. I think all 3 fems gave birth at once. I managed to rescue about 15 not sure how many were born. Out of guilt not wanting them to be eaten I made a great fry crib lol. But wtf am I gonna do with 15 platys?

Should have thought of that what you chose livebearers :D breeding machines that never stop

Caleb

Free fry

Should have thought of that what you chose livebearers :D breeding machines that never stop

Caleb

free fry adorable, sweet, cuddly, funny, playful young boys and girls. They will easily be the life of your next party. Children love them they will give your children endless hours of playing fetch. Each one comes with its own trust fund of flakes surely the answer to all your fish feeding worries

You really don't have to feel bad being eaten. If you really don't want extra fry, get all male or all female.

My friend bought 3 females. I think 2 gave birth, and had about 12 survival, but in the end, she's left with 4, and we took one. The one we took was a male and the 3 other are females. So she's left with an all female tank after all. :)

Back
Top Bottom