Platy fry HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I noticed I have some red wag platy fry in my 1p gallon tank today. The other fish are 2 female red wag platys, one was pregnant when I bought her, but I want the fry to survive. It doesn't look like they have their yolk sacs anymore, and I don't want them to get eaten or killed by the filter. What should I do!!???

I'm feeding the fry the same food I feed the parents, just crushed up into a powder.

Well you could or you could do what I did. This worked for me until mine were big enough to handle the main tank.

I ran airline into the mini tank with an air stone. You can't really see my babies in there they match my substrate! They are about 3 1/2 weeks old now and going strong! So this trick did work for feedings I brought up whole tank and opened the window at the top and feed bbs and baby bites then I set it back in I did that for about 2 1/2 weeks and then set the babies loose. Mine are now just under the size of my cardinals!

Great idea and example pictures. I've done something very similar except I have my mini tank at the top, secure with algae magnets....

New fry last night!

So I had a MM Platy that I knew was pregnant and moved her into a 4 Gallon holding tank on friday and she gave birth. I've moved her back to the main tank this morning after discovering 6-8 fry. Its her frist time giving birth so I'm guessing she was done.

My question is....when do fry start eating? I crushed up some flake food and dumped it in but I didn't see them feeding. They either couldn't find or just ignored the bits and pieces that I put in.

DO I keep putting in food until they feed or will the amazon swords/pygmy sword plants have enough nutrients on them for them to feed off of? I don't want to pollute the water since its only 4 gallons. Should I dump in some java moss from another tank?

So I had a MM Platy that I knew was pregnant and moved her into a 4 Gallon holding tank on friday and she gave birth. I've moved her back to the main tank this morning after discovering 6-8 fry. Its her frist time giving birth so I'm guessing she was done.

My question is....when do fry start eating? I crushed up some flake food and dumped it in but I didn't see them feeding. They either couldn't find or just ignored the bits and pieces that I put in.

DO I keep putting in food until they feed or will the amazon swords/pygmy sword plants have enough nutrients on them for them to feed off of? I don't want to pollute the water since its only 4 gallons. Should I dump in some java moss from another tank?
In my own experience, I've noticed mine only start feeding after about two days. It is best to offer food straight away though. You only need TINY amounts, 4 times a day. If you can get some, try Hikari first bites. A powder food made for fry. I know they are in there own tank but I would use a plastic trap, so you can make sure they are getting food. My molly had 25 fry last night and some of the fry are feeding now.

In my own experience, I've noticed mine only start feeding after about two days. It is best to offer food straight away though. You only need TINY amounts, 4 times a day. If you can get some, try Hikari first bites. A powder food made for fry. I know they are in there own tank but I would use a plastic trap, so you can make sure they are getting food. My molly had 25 fry last night and some of the fry are feeding now.

OK, so I came home after work and added some crushed up marineland tropical flakes and watched as the fry mostly sitting at the bottom of the tank actually tried nipping at the flakes that got pushed down towards the bottom. Some flakes were too big to fit in their mouths but I could see them pecking at the food trying it. I'll see if my LFS have the first bites as everybody in this forum recommend that type of food.

Oh I also tested the water and there are no traces of ammo and nitrites and 10ppm nitrates. I have live sword plants in the tank so it helps with the cycle I guess. I hope the fry and uneaten food produce enough ammo to feed the cycle. I've counted 10 fry.

I think my fry are about 2 weeks old now, and they still look the same as the did when I first saw them, just larger. When should I start to see their colors? They aren't scared of the parents anymore, so they come out to eat and aren't scared anymore.

I think my fry are about 2 weeks old now, and they still look the same as the did when I first saw them, just larger. When should I start to see their colors? They aren't scared of the parents anymore, so they come out to eat and aren't scared anymore.
What type of fry are they??

Red wag platy fry.
I have 3wk old red platy fry and they are still quite pale, a very light orange. They are starting to colour up. I also have 7wk old fry(same parents) and they are a very vibrant red/orange. So I guess around the 4-5wk mark, you should see strong colours emerge....

I have 3wk old red platy fry and they are still quite pale, a very light orange. They are starting to colour up. I also have 7wk old fry(same parents) and they are a very vibrant red/orange. So I guess around the 4-5wk mark, you should see strong colours emerge....

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Oh I also tested the water and there are no traces of ammo and nitrites and 10ppm nitrates. I have live sword plants in the tank so it helps with the cycle I guess. I hope the fry and uneaten food produce enough ammo to feed the cycle. I've counted 10 fry.
The BB will adjust to the needs of the tank. If there is only a small amount of waste, only a small amount of BB will survive, as the fry grow, they produce more waste= more BB will grow. You'll be fine.....

The BB will adjust to the needs of the tank. If there is only a small amount of waste, only a small amount of BB will survive, as the fry grow, they produce more waste= more BB will grow. You'll be fine.....

Thanks for the assurance! First time having fry and so far no losses from the 10 I counted 3 days ago! I just bought some Hikari first bites from the LFS so when I get home I'll give them some of these!

Back
Top Bottom