Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Platy Fry with no males?

I was checking on the conditon of my Betta (another thread), when I happened to notice at the top of my tank between my Amazon Sword leaves and Anubias strands, a tiny fry!

I have a single platy female in the tank, I had another male and female, but they died 2 months ago during an Ick outbreak. I've heard of Guppies being able to store sperm for months, but havent heard the same about platies. I don't have a breeder cage or anything of that sort, So i'm inclined to let him fend for himself, and hope for the best. I started looking around my tank, but havent seen any other Fry, but my Platy does have a large belly, but it could be because she just ate. Whats the best way to give food to the fry? do grounded up flake foods work?

Old 01-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes they can store sperm much like guppies. I had one platy drop 3 batches before I gave her away, and she was separated from males for 3 months!

Finely crushed flakes work fine. Platy fry can eat pretty much anything as long as it fits in their mouth. I like using decapped brine shrimp eggs or microworms if you have them. Baby brine shrimp is also awesome. You can also buy Hikari First Bites. I would add lots of java moss into your tank, and even dead oak leaves. Those will give cover for the fry as well as food

Old 01-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
I have read live bearers can store sperm for up to 6 mths/drops from one mating...

Tags
fry, platy, platy fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com