Platy gender identification!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheSmallFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all I am wanting to know the gender of my platies and if they are pregnant?1486582162434.jpg1486582175685.jpg1486582184899.jpg Sorry for the bad pictures!

Oh ok then the red wag is a male. I told the pet store lady to give me females but I guess not! Thank you for the help.

Yep. If you have enough space in the tank to get two more females, this would be a good idea. Otherwise, the males may harass and chase the females and stress them to death. For platies it's best to have two or three females for every male, to spread out the aggression. I'm sure you know this already (you asked for females and the pet store messed up, so you know what you're doing). Or, you could take back a male and request a female instead?

Well I think I am even a little over Stocked! With 4 platies and a gourami in a 10 gallon.

I see. Maybe trading one male out would be the best option. Do you think your LFS would do that?

I would definitely say 4 platys in a 10 gallon is fully stocked. Maybe you can trade it out for a plant or something?

No they are all very stubborn and would not do anything you buy it you keep it.

That's too bad, I'm so sorry. I have a similar situation, the closest LFS is terrible... I have to go an hour away to a great one, but it's definitely worth it!
Is there any way you could re-home a male, and then go back and get a female? Maybe a friend/family member has a tank and would be willing to take him? If this is not an option, I know you said the LFS likely wouldn't take him back, but maybe if you try giving them a call and explaining what happened, they'll change their minds? It's their fault, after all.
It's sad that the pet store employee put you in this mess by not knowing how to sex platies properly. It would be terrible if they got stressed or injured because of that employee. You asked for females and they messed up, so I don't think it's fair that they blame you for their negligence.

Agreed. Also I thought it was a 5.5, so I don't think that would be too overstocked in a 10 unless they start fighting or nipping at each other as long as you keep up with your water changes.

Well there is 2 different ones but I did just check aquadvicer it said I was 94% stocked so will I be fine or.

Back
Top Bottom