Platy help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

domsmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my mm platy had her 3rd batch this morning! She was in the nursery because I knew she was going to drop soon. All I found this morning was 6 fry, three already dead. :( so far the other three are doing ok!
My question is, I also saw in the nursery this morning a few small, transparent, orange tinted, floating balls. Could these have been eggs or embryos that didn't form and were aborted? Does that happen?
Her first two batches were EXACTLY 4 weeks apart. This batch was 4weeks, 3days after the last.
I also noticed later today after she seemed finished dropping fry, she still had a lil black dot in her belly, looked sort of like there was still a baby/babies in there. Could that be?
Thanks in advance!!! :)

Yes, that can happen. Something might have messed up and those fish never formed and kind of formed a mass. I've never experienced it myself, but I've heard of it happening. If she still has the spot, she may still have babies left she hasn't dropped yet.

domsmom said:
My question is, I also saw in the nursery this morning a few small, transparent, orange tinted, floating balls. Could these have been eggs or embryos that didn't form and were aborted? Does that happen?
:)

Yes.... There are usually several eggs dropped ... My largest Molly usually has 40-60 live fry and maybe 3-5 eggs... They are usually "cleaned up"/eaten quickly by other fish in tank quickly... Probably healthy protein :)

Back
Top Bottom