Platy Mommy....Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platylover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been tryingto raise platies for about 4 months now and all that I ever seem to save is 2-3 fry out of a brood. I was luck one time and witnessed a platy giving birth in the main tank and rushed her into a breeding trap and saved 10 fry in that brood.

My question is this, I have a young female blue moon platy Who has been pregnat for about 5 and a half weeks now. How do you know when to move the fish to a breeding trap in order to save the greatest number of fry? Is there any signs in behavior that would indicate that she is about to give birth?

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

if the fish is transparent enough you can see little black spots on her body meaning that it is about to give birth :mrgreen:

I do see the black spots in her body, but they have been there for weeks. I tried to move her into a breeding trap, but she got stressed and I didn't want her to lose her fry. I tried that with another platy. She was in the trap for about 4 days and I decided that I would let her go back in the tank the eve of the 5th day since she stressed so bad from being in there. I came home from work and had 18 still-born fry waiting for me in the trap. :cry: I don't want to repeat that again, so that is why I am looking for any tell-tale signs of "labor" in the platy. I think that if I catch her just at the right moment, I can hopefully save most of the fry.

Well, I just wanted to update the situation. Last night mom had her babies. I was able to save one of them and saw another in the plants at the back of the tank. I couldn't get the little guy, kept hiding in the plants, I hope that he will be ok. Boy, they sure are small when they are fist born. I hope that there are more just hiding out for now.

I had 2-3 hiding in my tank didn't notice for a week or so then they where big enough to see. 1 made it and is noe about 3/4 of an inch. When I released the 3 I had in my breeder they immediately found the stragler and became buddies. What other fish do you have in the tank? they fry should be ok once they get to a certain size depending on tank mates.

Platylover, do you have dense vegetation or something similar for the fry to hide in?

I just saw your profile with your list of fish. Pretty crowded in there! They will definately need to hide!

I don't really have dense vegitation except in the right, rear of the tank. I found about six more last night after I turned the lights out for about a half an hour. They are safe in the breeder now.

I do know that I have a large load of fish in the tank now and am working on getting rid of a lot of the fry and a few of the fish now. I am also trying to talk my wife into a bigger tank, but I don't know what would be a good size to step up to from a 20 gallon. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the advice, Scottw68TN.

By the way, your little animation under your name is pretty funny. I like it!

Back
Top Bottom