Platy Pregnant Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have all female platies, but it looks like one of them has stored up a bit of sperm. She ballooned up in a single day it seems like. I have a couple questions. How long until the babies make their debut in the aquarium? Last time I saw a dark spot in the belly, which turned out to be the fry. I don't see that just yet, but I imagine it is only a matter of time. Should I put the mother into a breeding trap, and if so when should I do this? My tank is over crowded once the fry grow up, but I have a friend, who wants to start up a tank again. Is there any special care when transporting the babies?

Can they change sex? I remember i had two male maroon clowns and next thing i knew i had a male and a pregnant female one.

-Pleco

I don't believe they can change sex, and the fins indicate that they are still female. I have read that it's normal for the females to give birth multiple times from one mating. Really, it's irrelevant of how she got pregnant. I'm curious about when to prepare for the new arrivals.

Sometimes female livebearers can store sperm. If you ever really don't want the babies..just leave them in the tank to be eaten. Sounds cruel, but trust me I kept 40 baby molly fry and I was kicking myself for it lol. No real matters transporting fry just I'd wait until they're at least 3-4 weeks old because most of them might die off within the first week and the second week sometimes they're really fragile and usually around a month old they're a pretty good size and probably won't croak the first thing off you catch them or put them in a bag and they'll be easier to catch. As far as the sex changing thing goes...I think they can change sex if there's no male.

mine keeps looking pregnant, but is really always a little constipated. I think she is poop shy and will only drop the deuce in the fry breeder.

I had really bad luck with breeding traps. They really stress the female fish because they are so small. My pregnant molly died, both pregnant platys miscarried. The next time I let the platy give birth in the main tank, planning to catch the babies and move them, but she gave birth in the middle of the night and by morning, there were none left.

This time, I'm going with a tank divider. You can buy one in the lfs. I am planning to put the pregnant fish on one side away from the rest of the fish, pack a whole bunch of java moss in there, and move her out as soon as she gives birth. Hopefully, some fry will make it this time. This is my fourth attempt, and I have yet to see a baby fish! I will keep you posted on how this goes-- but be careful using those breeder traps.

I haven't had much luck with breeder traps either. I find a divider or lots of hiding places and plants for the fry work much better. Livebearer's can store sperm for several months so she may still have a couple of batches of fry. My livebearer's have held onto their fry from anywhere from 2-6 weeks depending on when I notice them pregnant and the conditions within the tank regarding stress.

Back
Top Bottom