Platy prego or bloated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zarmalar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok.. so my rainbow Platy is looking bigger, she may be bred by a guppy... As he really took a liking to her

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120223_101603.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120223_101603.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 79
  • ForumRunner_20120223_101731.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120223_101731.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 76
  • ForumRunner_20120223_101844.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120223_101844.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 73
Platys and Guppies cannot crossbreed. From a single breeding they can drop 6 or so batches of fry, so if she was ever housed with male Swordtails or Platys thats where your fry are from.

No she's never been with any other male fish but my guppy but I had a posting on here when he first took a liking to her and I was told by a few people that they can breed but never a succsessful fry. I've noticed her getting more plump. It looks like she has a gravid spot. I've been comparing her to my other female Platy and she is a bit bigger so... I guess I will just wait and see :)

... Nevermind lol, I just read they can store up to 6 months! So my hopes of a rare cross have just been crushed. Oh well, at least I can have some more babies :)

zarmalar said:
... Nevermind lol, I just read they can store up to 6 months! So my hopes of a rare cross have just been crushed. Oh well, at least I can have some more babies :)

Lol :) Make sure to post pics when she has the fry!!

I would be interested I you manage a cross so be sure to update! However, it is extremely unlikely as guppies are poecilia (reticulata) and platys are xiphophorus (maculatus). They can be scientifically crossbred but to naturally and selectively cross I have never witnessed.

I will for sure post pics! Then we can all decide if they for sure are 100% Platy or not ;) I do have one Platy try that's about 1.5 months old from my other female. So I can compare then.

zarmalar said:
I will for sure post pics! Then we can all decide if they for sure are 100% Platy or not ;) I do have one Platy try that's about 1.5 months old from my other female. So I can compare then.

Looks like she preggers :) also never heard of rainbow Platy :/ cool fish though.:)

Yes very pretty, I've got the high fin version. He's cute, but he tries to mate with my other male platies ;)

I've seen that behavior as well. More with platties/variatus than any other livebearer.

Ya we named him Charlie, because Charlie is a dog that loves to hump my dog Maddie constently. Lol just like him.
I've tried to put guppies with my platies once and all my guppies where in active mating mode. They wouldn't leave them alone. Lol had to seperate them fast. Never seen my platies move that fast before. ;)

Ok.. to those wanting to know, I have a baby! I accidently vac-ed it up and saved it before the drain. It looks brand new so she must have just dropped it very recently....I tried to get pics but it hid in the darkness. But just wanted to update

zarmalar said:
Ok.. to those wanting to know, I have a baby! I accidently vac-ed it up and saved it before the drain. It looks brand new so she must have just dropped it very recently....I tried to get pics but it hid in the darkness. But just wanted to update

WhooHoo! Can't wait!

So this guy was really brave peeking out. But I got a pic finaly. Not really sure but it looks a lot like all Platy to me.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120313_140149.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120313_140149.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 58
zarmalar said:
So this guy was really brave peeking out. But I got a pic finaly. Not really sure but it looks a lot like all Platy to me.

Looks rather close to my platy fry, except my are an orangey color.

Back
Top Bottom