platys NOT breeding?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdude25

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 75 gallon has 17 cardinal tetras, 10 harlequin rasboras, 7 panda corydoras,7 platys (2 m, 5 fm), 6 otocinclus, 2 angelfish, and 2 bolivian rams. It has been set up for 7 months. I keep the tank at 78 degrees Fahrenheit. I do a 60-75 % water change every 7-10 days. I feed the fish NLS small fish formula pellets once every 2 days. 2 medium pinches (25-30 pellets), and 1 small pinch (15-20 pellets, for the corys/B. rams)

My male platys don't mate with the females, they don't even chase them. This has been going on for 1-2 months. I got my first male in January. In February I moved the tank downstairs into my room. When I did that, the water temperature got down to 73 degrees. I slowly raised the temp back to 78 over the next few days.

Then, my male had an interest in the females. It may have been a coincidence, though. I am really confused as to why my males don't mate anymore.

Today I tested my water. Ammo: 0 ppm, nitrIte: 0 ppm, nitrate: 10-20 ppm. Can anyone please help me? Sorry for writing such a long post, I wanted to include as much details as I could.
-Fishdude25

Last edited:
Have my males become infertle? Do I need new males? Should I try fasting my fish for a few days? Can anyone please help me?

-Fishdude25

I once had platies and they wouldn't breed they just swam together. Try adding aquarium salt

Mine breed during the night after lights out, my male doesn't constantly harass my females either. The other fish may be eating the babies too, before you can see them. The babies come out small and basically colourless.

EDIT: part of the reason your other fish may be eating them is they are fed every other day.

Wow that's the totally opposite of my guppies they don't stop trying to mate the male Harraea the females for like 2 hours

I think it's an individual fish thing. Not all males will harass females IMO, and I think guppies are a a bit more aggressive about mating than male platys. Just my opinion of course!

Mine breed during the night after lights out, my male doesn't constantly harass my females either. The other fish may be eating the babies too, before you can see them. The babies come out small and basically colourless.

EDIT: part of the reason your other fish may be eating them is they are fed every other day.
theyed eat them if they were fed 8 times a day. even fish that stop when they get full cant pass up a nice yummy fry

I've noticed a great increase in fry survival since I switched from every other day to 2x a day feedings. I also incorporated some kind of live foods daily so there's always something available.

This has worked in 4 different tanks since I started trying it so I don't think its a fluke. I had issues with fry survival and tried lots of things like traps and nets. The feeding change proved the most results.

Seems like if they are well fed during that first week more fry make it past that lunchtime window.

Last edited:
I feed twice a day and so far all my fry are surviving, I'm debating whether that's a good thing or not!!

I agree with jetajockey.

I feed my fry 2 times a Day too and all the fry are healthy and some of them already have there color.

I'm not worried about not seeing any fry, I'm worried that I see no breeding behavior. A few months ago my males used to be really aggressive with mating, they would never give up. Now, they don't even chase the females. Does anyone have any idea on to why they stopped breeding?
Thanks,
-Fishdude25

Give them some time. It was a few months before my male platy started showing any interest in the lone female I have.

Now I have more fry than I know what to do with lol.

fishdude25 said:
I'm not worried about not seeing any fry, I'm worried that I see no breeding behavior. A few months ago my males used to be really aggressive with mating, they would never give up. Now, they don't even chase the females. Does anyone have any idea on to why they stopped breeding?
Thanks,
-Fishdude25

Best way to speed up the breeding of most tropical fish is first step put the males in a breeding net if you've got one for three days if you can and if you have one. If not try reducing your temp to bottom of the safe zone for about a week then raise to near the top this should trigger mating in most species including platties. One more thing it is difficult to get even the easiest of fish to breed when feeding them flakes or pellets. The most natural food for platties to eat in the wild is daphnia these steps will be the main factors in speeding them into breeding do as much of these as you can and sit back and wait :)

I thought the same thing about mine because I never saw them mate. Turns out they were when I was asleep and I found only a few little ones hiding in the morning (about two) so I'm guessing the might of but they got eaten. I've had them for 6 months ( I have six 2m 4f ) and I only found two babies

My male platy will only mate with sunburst wag platies. Nothing else. He will not mate with any other types. I have tried 4 other kinds. He won't even chase them. I have not tried red wags though (he is a red wag). I know that platies are a little more picky than other livebearers when it comes to breeding. Maybe in your situation, your fish just got picky for some odd reason.

I know! Its weird because I brought all of them in pairs and my orange sun burst platies had black babies !

Back
Top Bottom