Please help - new keeper and platy is giving birth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandbabies

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

So I'm a relatively new tropical fish keeper. Everything has been going well, fish all settled, readings all consistent.
But late last night I noticed that one of my platy was very fat, so I did a bit of research on the net. Her size, prominent gravid spot and white dot around her anus indicated that she was heavily pregnant. However, she was swimming around and didn't seem very anti-social, so I figured I'd have a day, or at least a few hours. Woke up this morning and, nope - the other fish, especially the platys, were dancing around her and she was being rather still.
I had no birthing tank/breeder tank - basically nothing - so I did the best I could and moved her to a large black bucket, added some floating weeds and covered the top (I read darkness and calm would be best for her.) I'm certain she started having babies in the middle of the night (she was smaller when I woke up and didn't touch breakfast) but I've managed to 'save' eight babies so far and I think she's still going. The babies so far have been transferred to another tank (I stood water and took water from my 50 gal).

But I basically have no idea what to do! I haven't a clue what I'm doing and I'm sure I've made some big mistakes and lost a ton of babies. Hopefully the 8 will be ok... I'll crushed up some flakes into tiny pieces for them. Can anyone advise?! Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to AA!!. First of all, don't panic. You are doing fine. I would pick up a breeding net, put them in the net and hang the net in your main tank. They really need a heater and filter. They are just like babies, very sensitive, so they need good filtration, good food, good water quality etc etc. Have a look for Hikari First Bites. It's a fry food and I find it to be an excellent food. It's basically a powder food. If you can't get the first bites, just continue with the food your using. Feed 4 times a day. Only small amounts, literally a pinch each time. When they are bigger than your biggest fishes mouth(s), they are ok to release into the main tank.

Hi, thanks for the reply! I'm gong to buy a breeder net/tank first thing tomorrow. I'm very ill-equipped right now, but I'm hopeful they'll survive through the night. I just got in from work and the 8 are still alive. I've transferred them to a tank (there's only the 8, no other fry) and they look surprisingly strong - they're already swimming confidently and they often swim like a little gang, which is nice. I've put a filter in the tank but won't have a heater until tomorrow, however they're right next to the radiator, so hopefully have a bit of extra warmth. I've also used water from my established tank and have changed 10pc of the temporary tank this evening. I can't keep them, but luckily I know two people who are currently setting up a freshwater fish tank and are looking for fish, so they have homes, if they survive. Would be nice if they did! Going on this experience, I have another platy who looks like she'll have young quite soon. It might get a bit busy soon, but it'd be nice to raise these babies! Thanks :)

Hi, thanks for the reply! I'm gong to buy a breeder net/tank first thing tomorrow. I'm very ill-equipped right now, but I'm hopeful they'll survive through the night. I just got in from work and the 8 are still alive. I've transferred them to a tank (there's only the 8, no other fry) and they look surprisingly strong - they're already swimming confidently and they often swim like a little gang, which is nice. I've put a filter in the tank but won't have a heater until tomorrow, however they're right next to the radiator, so hopefully have a bit of extra warmth. I've also used water from my established tank and have changed 10pc of the temporary tank this evening. I can't keep them, but luckily I know two people who are currently setting up a freshwater fish tank and are looking for fish, so they have homes, if they survive. Would be nice if they did! Going on this experience, I have another platy who looks like she'll have young quite soon. It might get a bit busy soon, but it'd be nice to raise these babies! Thanks :)
Yeah they'll be grand until tomorrow. In my 15g I have a couple of corycats, they are great at cleaning up any leftover food and they won't bother the fry. Sounds like you could have plenty of fry very soon. I enjoy raising the fry and it's great experience for breeding/raising other fry in the future. What kind of filter do you have??

Congrats! Depending on what you have for a filter be careful so it don't blow them around. My fry are in a tank with a Topfin powerfilter 20 that is adjustable on the outflow so the littleguys aren't being blown around. Also consider putting a piece of Panty hose over the intake to keep little one from being sucked up. And be careful to not over feed. A cory was a good recommendation to keep the bottom clear of debris. Good luck and enjoy them! They are fun to watch grow and they seem to grow overnight!

Congrats! Depending on what you have for a filter be careful so it don't blow them around. My fry are in a tank with a Topfin powerfilter 20 that is adjustable on the outflow so the littleguys aren't being blown around. Also consider putting a piece of Panty hose over the intake to keep little one from being sucked up. And be careful to not over feed. A cory was a good recommendation to keep the bottom clear of debris. Good luck and enjoy them! They are fun to watch grow and they seem to grow overnight!

Hi, thanks both! It's a Fluval filter, but I'm ashamed to say I'll have to find the box to get the specifics. It has an adjustable nozzle and it's on the weakest setting. The fry aren't being pushed around, I don't think... Feeling a bit out of my depth, but the little ones seem calm and are sleeping now, by the looks. A cory sounds like a good idea, given the latest developments... I'm enjoying watching them, and they seem fine, but I think I better get prepared pretty quickly!

Cool! Good, sounds like you are catching on just fine. Glad to hear they are doing well and sleeping. Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep an eye on them and count them each time you look at them. And brace yourself her next litter will be more. My female guppies started out with like 5-10, then their next birthing was more than 20, then one of the mommas, her next litter, was 80! She had like 80 every litter after that, but that was ok as she and her mate were show guppies.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice yesterday. I just have one more question... This birthing business is hard! My platy had her fry yesterday morning, as you know, and after she stopped dropping for several hours (and had a rest on her own) I returned her to the tank. She seemed fine, swam around happily, eating fine... But I've just checked on her and she's staying still again (males pestering her) and looks exactly like she did yesterday before she had her babies?! Her stomach is still large with a very dark spot.... Could she have had a 'rest' and still be dropping fry? Her birth canal seems 'open' too.... I'm confused, is this possible?! Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice yesterday. I just have one more question... This birthing business is hard! My platy had her fry yesterday morning, as you know, and after she stopped dropping for several hours (and had a rest on her own) I returned her to the tank. She seemed fine, swam around happily, eating fine... But I've just checked on her and she's staying still again (males pestering her) and looks exactly like she did yesterday before she had her babies?! Her stomach is still large with a very dark spot.... Could she have had a 'rest' and still be dropping fry? Her birth canal seems 'open' too.... I'm confused, is this possible?! Thanks!
It normally only takes a few hours for them to have the fry but every fish is different. If possible, you could separate her for another day. I always leave my females for 24hrs after they birth, to rest and keep the males away. Their stomachs normally get smaller almost straight after birth.....

Must be something in the water. My blue female guppy dropped about 6-8 fry last night. She is doing ok but skinny now. Already the males are pestering her but shes fiesty and chased them all away. With the bigger live bearers you can rest the female by pulling her out and put her in a breeding net or another quiet tank. The Boys will start bugging her immediately after birthing. And yes I have seen my red momma, getting round within hours after birthing. I have read somewhere that they have the next set of eggs ready as soon as the fry leave, or in some cases they can hold back fry if they feel threatened or the water isn't right. I had the show guppies give double/triple births over a 3 day period. They hold some fry if the males get real aggressive too. Like already stated, it depends on the fish and current tank conditions. Just watch her close she may drop them later when things feel right to her, if shes holding.

Does mine look knocked up? I got a breeder bin today for other reasons... Wondering if I should get it out of the box and put her in...

What am I looking for, exactly?

Attachments

• image-771259545.jpg
    image-771259545.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 49
  • image-4133181925.jpg
    image-4133181925.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 63
Does mine look knocked up? I got a breeder bin today for other reasons... Wondering if I should get it out of the box and put her in...

Difficult to tell. If you can get a side-on photo that would be good. If she isn't pregnant yet she will be shortly. You'll see a mass of orange behind her stomach - if you look closely you'll see orange balls which will develop little black specks (eyes), and she'll get bigger and square off. I'll post you a picture of my platy the day before she dropped her fry for comparison.

Attachments

• image-4207142880.jpg
    image-4207142880.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 49
  • image-3782224435.jpg
    image-3782224435.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 66

I would say she is pregnant. She looks swollen alright. She needs to look like Mcor's platy. Yours is still very rounded....

I would say she is pregnant. She looks swollen alright. She needs to look like Mcor's platy. Yours is still very rounded....

Well, I put her in the breeder box, and she had a massive poop, and was normal-sized again... So I put her back in the tank. I got some of those baby-hiding-bush things that float on the top, so if she or the other drop any, they'll at least have that...

The other, however, continues to grow, and I'm sure she's got little black eye-spots in her belly, so, I guess we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom