Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loukas42

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anybody on here breed plecos? Or have any information on breeding plecos and would like to help our at all?

Hi there, what kind of plecostomus do you have? Also, what size tank do you have and how many do you have in there?

Bristle nose plecs are the best to breed, most others can be very expensive and tricky, if not near impossible!

Ok, well you need a large enough tank as they can grow huge. So we can start with what size tank you have?

45G upwards would be ideal, the bigger the better. I think someone on here has a breeding pair in a 30G. I would say definitely no smaller than that.

Secondly, if any, I would advise you to try a pair of bristle nose plecs as BN plecs will grow a max of 5-6 inches. Compare that with common plecs and such which can easily grow in excess of a foot! You can also get albino BN plecs if you want variety.

They are egg layers and will need a cave or hidey hole In order to breed (large enough for him to fit in and turn full circle as a guideline).

Thanks. Keep the info coming! I love learning new things about fish!

Back
Top Bottom