Plecos or corydoras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettaowner

Aquarium Advice Addict
Part of my new year's resolution is to try and breed some egg laying fish that aren't cichlids. I've heard that both bristle nose plecos and some corydoras would be easy to breed. What do you think would be the best option and what are some tips you could offer? Thanks in advance.

Probably Cory's, I've had them and done nothing special except regular water changes and they have spawned themselves. Just let them be for a few months, they'll get creative and lay bunches of eggs.

Nils

I suggest corys also. The only problem I have is mine eat the eggs almost as they are being laid on the glass. Maybe I have too many pairs in my tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Corys ?

Set up a spawning tank and move fish out, once eggs are laid. There is a ton of info here and on Planet Catfish.

For pygmy species many use tiny bio media tubes. Babies can hide till they grow. 20Longs are often used as breeders for the little Corydoras.

Shane's World is a part of PC and has great articles.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanes...icle_id=312&title=So+you+want+to+breed+Corys?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Corys, don't put a shoal of 8 plecos in a 20l now do we;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Plecos and Corys

Part of my new year's resolution is to try and breed some egg laying fish that aren't cichlids. I've heard that both bristle nose plecos and some corydoras would be easy to breed. What do you think would be the best option and what are some tips you could offer? Thanks in advance.

Hello bet...

You can keep both, just make sure you have a larger tank. One with a shorter height, long and a little narrow. A standard 55 or 60 G is about right. Plecos can get large. Heavily plant the bottom in the front with Anubias attached to lava rock and driftwood for the eggs to be layed and leave the back open. These guys love a lot of area with no plants so they can forage for leftover food. Heavily plant the surface too. These fish prefer shade. If you want the eggs around long enough for them to hatch, takes 3 days after they're layed, then don't have any other fish species in the tank. Eggs are very nutritious and a favorite for any fish with a mouth large enough.

Keep the water clear of dissolved wastes with large, weekly water changes and feed a varied diet of flaked, freeze dried and frozen foods and you'll have your little Plecos and Corys.

B

Species only tanks are certainly the standard for serious breeding. As pets that may have a few babies survive, yes you can have both.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 15 gallon pond that I'll probably use to breed them. I have some panda corydoras I might breed once they get bigger. What would be a good first food for the fry?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could breed peppered cories, they are really hardy and pretty easy to breed

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Corys! Very social and energetic fish. Fun and easy to keep.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 15 gallon pond that I'll probably use to breed them. I have some panda corydoras I might breed once they get bigger. What would be a good first food for the fry?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I started my corys on micro worms, then transitioned to frozen baby brine, then daphnia etc. Micro worms are fairly easy to deal with, you just need a starter culture. Some people don't use live foods and feed crushed pellets and flake.

Hello bet...

You can keep both, just make sure you have a larger tank. One with a shorter height, long and a little narrow. A standard 55 or 60 G is about right. Plecos can get large. Heavily plant the bottom in the front with Anubias attached to lava rock and driftwood for the eggs to be layed and leave the back open. These guys love a lot of area with no plants so they can forage for leftover food. Heavily plant the surface too. These fish prefer shade. If you want the eggs around long enough for them to hatch, takes 3 days after they're layed, then don't have any other fish species in the tank. Eggs are very nutritious and a favorite for any fish with a mouth large enough.

Keep the water clear of dissolved wastes with large, weekly water changes and feed a varied diet of flaked, freeze dried and frozen foods and you'll have your little Plecos and Corys.

B

Well well would you look at that... bad advice as usual. How would you expect someone to keep the cory eggs from being eaten by the plecos? Common sense tells you that you can't spawn egg scatterers in a tank with egg eaters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom