Possible GBR breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infamouz88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello guys , just wondering if anyone with breeding experience with blue rams can help me out. I have a pair and was wondering if it's possible to breed them in a community tank. I have about 8 different fish and a placo. I had the female for a few months and barely bought her partner. The day I brought him in she started attacking other fish. Like her attitude changed. Is it cuz she's ready to breed? I wanted a Lil advice if it's possible. Do I really need a flat surface? Well here are some pictures and let me know what you guys think, more plant less plants, different ornaments.. Etc...

ForumRunner_20130526_193237.jpg

ForumRunner_20130526_193252.jpg

ForumRunner_20130526_193307.jpg

ForumRunner_20130526_193323.jpg

ForumRunner_20130526_193338.jpg

ForumRunner_20130526_193354.jpg

ForumRunner_20130526_193418.jpg

Your tank looks great. I've had 2 pairs of Germans in a 55 gallon community and they both spawned repeatedly, harassing each other at the territorial border all the while. Eggs are lasted readily one a pair is formed. I just couldn't get them to stop eating their spawns and gave up recently. All the advice I have is be patient

By any chance would you happen to know if we will have any problems with my placo and Chinese wood shrimp eating the spawns?

They can be spawn in a community tank and yes..plecos and other fish can eat the eggs. However, your rams will become very aggressive and prolly won't let anything too close (possibly at night however, when the pleco or nocturnal fish are out). You could remove the eggs, but I would probably leave the first spawn in the tank and see how they parent them..they might just eat them all. It might take a few tries for them to get it right..but they can be very good parents.

They can be spawn in a community tank and yes..plecos and other fish can eat the eggs. However, your rams will become very aggressive and prolly won't let anything too close (possibly at night however, when the pleco or nocturnal fish are out). You could remove the eggs, but I would probably leave the first spawn in the tank and see how they parent them..they might just eat them all. It might take a few tries for them to get it right..but they can be very good parents.

Yeah i understand what you mean. I was afraid of that, but i guess that's nature. I noticed that the female ram is very aggressive to most my fish but I'm mostly afraid she will hurt my angel fish.

How big is your angelfish? I kept a pair of angels with 2 breeding pairs of rams in a 55 gallon and the angels were fine. But they were substantially larger, too. It all depends on the temperament. Rams will defend their eggs aggressively, but as long as everyone steers clear of the parents your angels should be fine.

How big is your angelfish? I kept a pair of angels with 2 breeding pairs of rams in a 55 gallon and the angels were fine. But they were substantially larger, too. It all depends on the temperament. Rams will defend their eggs aggressively, but as long as everyone steers clear of the parents your angels should be fine.

He's the biggest fish in my tank about adult size already. He minds his own and doesn't bother anyone unless their up on his face he tries to nip them away. I'm not concerned about fish eating their spawn I'm more concerned of my pleco and wood shrimp since their nocturnal. And hopefully the rams temperament isn't bad to the point of hurting my angel fish.

Could you post a pic of your full tank with the angel so I can get a better idea? And as for the eggs, try not to worry about them too much. Rams are terribly individual, and parenting skills may vary dramatically between pairs. The greatest threat to the eggs may very well be the parents.

Could you post a pic of your full tank with the angel so I can get a better idea? And as for the eggs, try not to worry about them too much. Rams are terribly individual, and parenting skills may vary dramatically between pairs. The greatest threat to the eggs may very well be the parents.

ForumRunner_20130528_173759.jpg

ForumRunner_20130528_173910.jpg

ForumRunner_20130528_173953.jpg

ForumRunner_20130528_174038.jpg

The last picture has the angel on the left and the pair of GBR on the right. Let me know what other things you need to know. Btw my tank is 20gallons.

The last picture has the angel on the left and the pair of GBR on the right. Let me know what other things you need to know. Btw my tank is 20gallons.

What else is in the tank? Didn't you say a pleco too? If that is true or not , just with an angel and 2 GBRs only you're pushing it.

Well I'm a little over stocked, I have 3 swordtails 1tetra 1 Molly 2danios 1 guppy 1 angel and the pair of GBR. As for bottom dwellers I have a khuli loach a bristle nose Pleco and 2 Chinese wood shrimp. Had rams horn snails but I took them out. Was looking into donating some fish to lower stress on overstocking but so far all fish get along with no sings of stress.

Back
Top Bottom