Preferred time to born?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rezende

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello guys,
Right now I'm watching my black molly giving birth (15h pm here). The last three times I had fries in my tank, I spotted them in the morning only. So, both guppies and mollies were giving birth overnight...
Do you guys think livebearers are more likely to give birth at night? Or it was just coincidence and fishes pop up whenever they are ready?

I'm asking because it really looks like the survival rate when they born at night is higher. So far, my black molly is trying to eat anything that moves!! I've been counting here, 12 born, 8 eaten!! :eek: I have plenty of plants, but my black molly has proved to be a terrific hunter!! .. and eater!! :blink: I really thought she would get "full" after the 3rd or 4th fry!!

I always have a breeder box with a divider to save babies, to stop mummas doing exactly that! it's logical about birthing at night helping the survival rate, since they're harder to see (therefore eat) in the dark, but I found all my guppies preferred in the middle of the day to enjoy producing their own buffet XL

...to enjoy producing their own buffet XL
ahahah! that's true! lunch time!

I was used to save them. Last times, I removed fries one by one as soon I spotted them in the morning. But this time, even if I wanted, my black molly is voracious!! :blink: She drops, turns and eats...
I decided to leave it "in natura" this time, because I'm getting too much fry! More than I can give away. And I have just two females in my tank. :huh:

The last fries were born from my guppy, a week ago. I had to make them a temporary (but nice :cool:) home:
New fry! | Aquaria

Back
Top Bottom