Preggers Platys in labor??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is what i did. Take plastic canvas and cut it to fit inside either the top or bottom piece. Hot glue it into place pushing hard when spreading the glue so it grabs through the mesh. Use a high temp gun. Cut the holes out with a hack saw or similar so that it can be positioned anywhere on the legs of the net breeder.

A sad day, My silver platy died in the wee hours of the morning today. She simply couldnt deliver her fry. She was real weak with clamped fins and the filter runoff was pushing her all over the tank. I put her in the QT but she didnt make it. I guess she was getting too old to be having babies. Whe she was finally gone I gently squeezed her and little deformed babies came out. I felt really sick about doing it but I wanted to see if any might have made it. Sad to say they died with momma. I'll miss her terribly, but her happy memories will cheer me up when I hurt the most. She is survived by her sister and her girlfriends, Mrs. Sunburst, and Scarlet the red wagtail. She has also left some very sad male suiters behind. :(

I'm sorry! ((hugs)) I lost my mommy red wag platty yesterday. She was in labor and hid inside my tree trunk ornament and got stuck inside the branch. I am going to get a female swordtail this week to mate with my male pineapple swordtail after I get rid of some nasty algae in my tank.

fish_4_all said:
Here is what i did. Take plastic canvas and cut it to fit inside either the top or bottom piece. Hot glue it into place pushing hard when spreading the glue so it grabs through the mesh. Use a high temp gun. Cut the holes out with a hack saw or similar so that it can be positioned anywhere on the legs of the net breeder.

That's a really good idea and gives me a great idea for a breeder. Has anyone ever seen a breeder where the mom is isolated, but the fry then drop right into the main tank? That would eliminate the problem of the female eating them. (Of course this wouldn't work that great in a community tank, but in a fry tank, it would be awesome.)

Back
Top Bottom