Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2020, 02:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Preggo Platy Died

Hi Fellow Fish Enthusiasts,

I'm in need of an educated opinion regarding my Preggo Platy that just died. Over a year ago I purchased 2 female (Calico/marbled) Platys and 2 (Golddust) Mollies; 1 female & 1 Male. The female gold dust is constantly pregnant and delivers fry every month like clockwork.
Well, 1 month ago I noticed one of the female Platys was pregnant and the daddy could only have been the 1 Male Mollie in the tank. The entire month everything looked like it was going well. I could even see the little baby fry eyes as she was getting close to delivery. She was healthy and just a couple days ago began to show classic signs of getting ready to deliver. Unfortunately, early yesterday morning I found her laying dead on the substrate. My guess is that she died due to pregnancy. Is it possible she died due to mating with another species (mollie)?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry for the loss I think of a couple variables such as age, stress. The male may have been a contributing factor possibly harassing the female Molly.

Tags
die, died, egg, platy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com