Pregnancy versus Constipation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

conniedearest

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For the past two weeks, I have been thinking my guppy was pregnant because she was gradually getting bigger up until this week. In the last three days, she went from slightly big to bigger. For the last week, she's been passing white, stringy poop and hasn't had much of an appetite. Yesterday, I noticed that she finally starting passing regular poop and regained her appetite, but at the same time, the size of her stomach was way smaller than earlier.

Her gravid spot is still visible. And, it's about purplish-black with some redness in it. It still gradually turning darker. Was she either constipated this entire time and still pregnant? Or did she happen to give birth and then eat her fry when I was gone all day? I'm still confused as to if she's still pregnant or not. (Just when I was getting excited too).

Thing is with female guppies if kept with males is that they are continuously pregnant. Do you think she might have dropped some fry somewhere maybe? If not you're bound to get fry sooner or later. I have platys and noticed especially with my yellow female is that as soon she dropped her fry her belly was full with eggs again (or whatever you want to call them - round orange balls that develop into babies). I remember when I first got her I could see only the swim bladder inside her, but once she got pregnant the first time, she's been full ever since. Fingers crossed for you!

Thanks for the response! And I hope I get fry soon!

If she did drop fry, I haven't seen any evidence of them unless someone snacked on them or they were sucked up by the filter! Hopefully that wasn't the case!

Back
Top Bottom