Pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do I know if one of my fish is pregnant? I saw some of the pictures of pregnant fish and I could not tell at all... any tips?

Danios (6, not sure if m or f), platies (5, not sure if m or f), and guppies (4 m, 2 f)... I know it's general, but I didn't know if there was a generic way to tell if fish are pregnant, other than bigger stomaches.

I did quarantine a female guppy because she looked a lot bigger than when I first got her. Her swimming is quite frantic, her gravid spot is dark, but I never did a full check to see if it was there when I got her. Any advice?

Last edited:
I don't know to much about platie or danios but guppies will get a very dark gravida spot and will get kind of square right befor the give birth and sometimes they will try to hide. I think danios are egg layers.

I had danios and couldn't even tell males from females, then again, I never tried. ;)

One thing I do know is that danios are not live bearers... they lay eggs. (Correct me if I'm wrong!)

So it would be quite a bit harder, I do believe. :)

Yes danios are not livebearer's so they do lay eggs. You can sometimes tell when they are full of eggs but they will not be pregnant. Livebearer's like platies, swordtails and guppies do become pregnant and they look it.

Guppies and platies will get very dark gravid spots when close to giving birth as well as their anal area gets squared off.

Back
Top Bottom