Pregnant??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samzter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys I have 4 female platies and 2 of them look pregnant. I'm not sure if any are pregnant. They have 2 males In the tank with them and I'll post photos of all of them and If you could tell me what coloured one is pregnant and how far along they are that would be great thank!!!

Yeah I've got 7 fry which were in a 10 gallon but that's being treated so there in a hatchery in the main tank

If u can see check the gravid spot it just above their poop hole. It will be be a real dark spot or black. That should be the babies.

I kept mine in a breeder tank in main tank for a little bit. Then I got a 2 gallon tank and put substrate an ornament and a plant from my cycled tank in it. It was fully cycled in 3 days and ready for the fry. Got it on sale at petco do$20 and the filter cost $12.

I have successfully gained around 25 fry (mickey mouse platies) from 2 different females and one is preg again!!!

My livebearers are CONSTANTLY pregnant !! I never see any of them except a 2 females pregnant. I know they aren't fat because I sometimes find dead fry. This is the first batch I'm trying to save . If I post better pictures in the morning with all of my females can people tell me when they think they'll drop and where I can move them too. My 10 is down ATM but I have one hatchery with fry in it. If I was to place any female in it would she eat the current babies ? Thanks.

Pics of all my females. Just tell me what ones are preggos and how long they have left . Thanks guys!! Enjoy!

Hi guys I have 4 female platies [...] I'm not sure if any are pregnant.

Ok...

They have 2 males in the tank with them

That usually means that they're all pregnant. Platies are the rabbits of the fish world. I see a lot of people fussing about their platies and having fry, but honestly, they're pretty good at having babies whether you do anything or not. The whole experience can be sometimes enjoyed more by just taking a step back and letting the fish do their own thing rather than trying to keep track of their progression.

I agree, with livebearers like platys, mollys, and guppies, if they girls have had any contact with males they are likely to be pregnant. Sometimes they don't carry to term because of varying reasons, stress being a major factor. They could also have their fry without getting huge first, so it's possible for one to drop fry and then they all be eaten by tankmates before anyone notices they were there.

Back
Top Bottom