Pregnant ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mamaof2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It seems like my one ghost shrimp is always pregnant! She has had babies twice now and both times she is instantly pregnant again. She is pregnant now for a third time. I know she for sure had her babies and some of them survived. I separated her the first time so my 4 year old could see the whole process. Then, it looked like they all died but they must have gotten out and hid as there are definitely more, much smaller shrimp in the tank. The second time I did not separate her, however, I could tell that she was having her babies. Now she is pregnant again.. is this normal? How many times is she going to get pregnant? It seems to be only the one as she is much larger than the others.

She might actually be a grass shrimp. Similar to a Cherry shrimp which can breed and live in FW. Ghost shrimp are slightly different as they are able to live in FW but when the babies are born, they need brackish water to grow and develop.

Maybe the others are males, tails are thinner and sit a tiny amount higher.

Have pics?

Ghost Shrimp tale is almost a 110-135 degree angle, kinda pointy, where as the Grass shrimp would be a gentle arch.

Back
Top Bottom