Pregnant ghost shrimp has eggs do I need a male if she already has eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AwesomesHome

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a pregnant ghost shrimp do I need a male if she already has eggs if so how to I tell if the ghost shrimp are male and females at the fish store?

What temperature does the shrimp tank need to be at?

Tbh I don't know how to sex Ghost Shrimp. If the female is already carrying eggs a male is not needed.

Hello,

I have a pregnant ghost shrimp do I need a male if she already has eggs if so how to I tell if the ghost shrimp are male and females at the fish store?

What temperature does the shrimp tank need to be at?

As long as you have the tank in the normal range for tropical fish (76-82 on average) I’d say you’re fine there. As far as telling male and female apart. It all has to do with body shape. Males will be more slender and often times are smaller than females. Females on the other hand are larger and have more rounded abdomens. The easiest way to tell a female is if she is bearing (or pregnant) as she will have green eggs in her abdominal cavity. Additionally, a bearing female already has had the eggs fertilized so no male is required once she has eggs. If you have any more questions about raising the fry then I’d be more than happy to help.

I had a female that had eggs, I was learning about the feeding of the shrimps and one of my female shrimps had the fry they were swimming around in the tank and from my over feeding the shrimp fry died. The female that I had died as well. I have had 2 males alive in there for 3 weeks now and looking good so I am waiting on the pet store to get more female shrimps. I am hoping to have a shrimp tank with a lot of shrimps that multiply. When I get that going I would like to have a lots of different color shrimps in that tank breeding and multiplying.

I had a female that had eggs, I was learning about the feeding of the shrimps and one of my female shrimps had the fry they were swimming around in the tank and from my over feeding the shrimp fry died. The female that I had died as well. I have had 2 males alive in there for 3 weeks now and looking good so I am waiting on the pet store to get more female shrimps. I am hoping to have a shrimp tank with a lot of shrimps that multiply. When I get that going I would like to have a lots of different color shrimps in that tank breeding and multiplying.

Shrimp tanks are very fun and very rewarding! I have one myself right now and I am in the process of setting up a second one. I don’t know how much you have looked up already, but here’s my take and advice. Make sure to have plenty of live plants and places to hide for the shrimp. (Java moss is a particular favorite of theirs). Additionally, it’s important to have some kind of sponge covering your filter or to have a sponge filter as baby shrimp can easily be sucked into normal filters. Also, I’ve noticed that sometimes, ghost shrimp use their size as an advantage over the smaller Neocaridina shrimps (the colorful shrimp). So maybe once you successfully breed the ghost shrimp or decide that you are more comfortable with shrimp to get the colorful ones like cherry shrimp, consider bringing your ghost shrimp into a store so you don’t mix them. Also, since you said you had problems with feeding them and possibly over fed them, live plants also help with that by providing both a source of food and a way to make excess food cause fewer problems. If you have any specific questions, I’d love to answer them. As you can tell I really enjoy talking about shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom