Pregnant guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishObsessed

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Last night I moved my two pregnant female guppies to their own 2 gallon fish bowl. I'm new so I'm unsure of how far along they are. They seem to be sitting at the bottom on the tank near the marbles but are nearly motionless. Are they sick? Or is this normal behavior for them when pregnant?

Well, I would move them back. They need a filter and tank. You could scare them and they could abort. I would plant your tank heavily, with Plastic or real plants and then let them have them in the main tank. You moving them can stress them. Plus they need a heater and filter. Just cover your intake with a sponge for fashion a cover from a filter pad. No worries.
Make sure not to over feed or underfeed.

How far along would you say she is? I've only had her for a week. She is the smaller of the two females. After I did a 50% water change they seem much happier and swimming around again

image-3772780671.jpg

I would only do a 25% water change, getting over a 50% water change could kill all your fish!

They are just barely there, she's atleast a few weeks before delivering. You need to change 50% every other day. I take there is no filter on this tank?

No there is no filter. However if she isn't far along i will place her back in the other tank. Thank you for your help guys!

I would only do a 25% water change, getting over a 50% water change could kill all your fish!

Very untrue.

You should have a filter!

Although a filter is a good idea it is not essential if water changes are done before toxins reach harmful levels.

OP- I agree with letting them drop in the main tank. Less stress on them.

The bigger the water change you do the more you unstable the water conditions causes the fish to be stressed, yea maybe for goldfish but not for fish that need a sable PH, goldfish can handle the conditions, when breeding that's not a good idea.

Try a floating breeding box for your main tank, you can keep the fry in there for 3-4 weeks then release them into the main tank :)

The bigger the water change you do the more you unstable the water conditions causes the fish to be stressed, yea maybe for goldfish but not for fish that need a sable PH, goldfish can handle the conditions, when breeding that's not a good idea.

I wrote this only a couple of days ago in another thread. I think it applies here.
The reason many suggest large weekly water changes is because high nitrates isn't the only problem in a tank. TDS (total dissolved solids) can build to dangerous levels in a tank over time. This is called old tank syndrome. Fish in tanks suffering from this have gradually become accustomed to the amount of TDS. Replacing larger amounts of water weekly helps remove the TDS and replenish minerals needed for plant growth, fish health, the beneficial bacteria and a stable pH. High TDS and the lack of certain things cause the water chemistry of the tank to be dramatically different to that of the source water (well, tap, etc). That is why small changes are recommend as to not stress the fish. But... if large amounts of water are changed out every week the tanks water chemistry is pretty much identical to that of the source water. I regularly change out 50-75% of the water in all 7 of my tanks.

Not that I'm suggesting that your tank has high TDS or that there is a problem just explaining the thoughts of many.
I think you'll find that many breeders regularly change large amounts if water in their tanks.

Weekly water changes of 25% is more than enough bearing in mind you have a filter, the point is I don't think it's a good idea to have a fry or breeder tank without a filter, as with a pregnant fish doing these big water changes would stress the fish out, there is other ways to breed to make in more comfortable for your fish!!

In what to said in your other tread you kinda agree with me so I don't see what's your problem?

Weekly water changes of 25% is more than enough bearing in mind you have a filter, the point is I don't think it's a good idea to have a fry or breeder tank without a filter, as with a pregnant fish doing these big water changes would stress the fish out, there is other ways to breed to make in more comfortable for your fish!! In what to said in your other tread you kinda agree with me so I don't see what's your problem?
What I have a problem with is you are saying that any more than 25% change a week is going to stress the fish. Whether there is a filter or not; if toxins get too high 25% per week isn't going to cut it. Having a filter has nothing to do with it. TDS and nitrate are not removed by filters. Sure if a tank is lightly stocked 25% might work fine but if the water conditions call for it a large water change isn't going to stress the fish if the water comes from the same place every time. It is usually recommended to do several large water changes per week to keep fry (and pregnant live bearers) in pristine water conditions. The cleaner you can get the water the healthier the fish will be and the better fry will grow.

Is it a good idea to have a filter on a fry tank? Yes! But I was saying it is possible not to as long as the water is kept clean.

As a college student who goes away for school I have to have things easy to travel a distance. The reason I have them in a bowl as opposed to a breeder box is because this is a little more roomy for her. Like I said I am new to this guppy care thing. With a 2 gallon tank I expect to do a water change every other day with two pregnant guppies and a week old fry.

ChrisJ said:

This is NOT true. You need to do As much of a water change as you need to do to keep your water conditions healthy. However I would move the guppies out of he bowl and put them back in the tank. If you are worried about fry get a breeding box that can be placed I side the tank and move mom in when she is ready to give birth

I agree with all of that except the frequency of the water changes. It is been my experience that changing large amounts of water weekly or twice weekly keeps the tanks water conditions the same as the tap. At no stage does the tank's water chemistry shift/change. If there is a significant change in the tanks water chemistry IMHO it is a sign that not enough water changes are being preformed. Preventing the problem of the tanks water being different to that of the source water is easy.

Now if the pH, hardness, etc is different to that of the tank for any reason (crushed coral, peat, co2, whatever) then the water should be prepared ahead of time in tubs. This can be time consuming. Most fish can adapt to the source waters chemistry just fine, so messing with it in the first place is not needed. The use of the pH altering chemicals in that article spells bad news. They can cause huge swings in pH and can be deadly. IMO they should never be used, ever.

IMHO there is no excuse for not providing our fish with the cleanest possible water. The fear of harming them by providing them with clean water is unwarranted IMO.

Back
Top Bottom