Pregnant Guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lily elizabeth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
are my guppies pregnant? they’ve both recently been displaying odd behaviors, such as slight aggression and agitation towards tank mates and forms of self isolation, which i don’t know what to think of. the bigger of the two, whose name is Blossom, has been with me for a couple months now and i will say she’s gotten a bit bigger recently. what’s weird is whenever im sitting at my desk with them and watching them, she never lets the male get too close to her or push her around, sometimes she’s even the one chasing, but i don’t know what else would make her look so plump other than pregnancy. the smaller of the two, whose name is Daisy, has barely been with me a full day. i just got her yesterday from a local pet store, which believe it or not had the males and females separated!! but she really does seem to be pregnant! she’s been lying at the bottom of the tank isolated from the others and seems to be getting contractions. she sort of vibrates from time to time and wiggles in the same spot a lot. her gravid spot is much more wider and noticeable that Blossom’s, but she isn’t as chubby looking. i really don’t know what to think!! any insight is helpful.

Attachments

• 5ECC6B55-6ACF-477A-87DD-6E4B719FC6E5.jpg
    5ECC6B55-6ACF-477A-87DD-6E4B719FC6E5.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 31
  • FA22DEFF-1DCB-4C26-AEAA-367F45FB0FDF.jpg
    FA22DEFF-1DCB-4C26-AEAA-367F45FB0FDF.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 33
I guess you’ll have to wait and see! If you want to, you can either move the other fish or move the supposedly pregnant female, moving the female is more stressful so if you can take the other fish out and prep her tank for fry just in case. Some precautions would be things like putting floating items up for the fry, or making sure they don’t get sucked into a HOB filter. Good luck! Oh, and make sure it’s not just bloated.

Back
Top Bottom