Pregnant guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Faye1977

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 64litre tank with guppies, neons and a fighter fish. I've noticed that I've got a female guppy and can clearly see a gravid, do I need to separate the female from the other fish and what's the best way to keep the fry. Any advice would be great:thanks:

If you want to save the babies, it's best to separate the mother from the rest of the inhabitants because they'll eat them all, otherwise a few will survive at best. Be careful because the mother may or may not eat her own babies too so it's best to have a breeder . If you do decide to separate her, the best time to do it is a day or two before she gives birth.

Yeah try and get a breeder trap from your LFS and put the mom into it a day or too till you expect her to give birth (Normal Gestation period is about a month)
When she is done giving birth, remove her and let the fry stay in the trap till they are 2 months plus. Feed em Live Baby Brine shrimp (Find these at your LFS), Very Fine crushed flakes (VERY FINE), or buy some specialty food like Hikari Fry food. I recommend all of these.
Also, make sure your water perameters are good and keep up on your water changes

Back
Top Bottom