Pregnant guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flavia21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone! I have a guppy that has a pretty big belly and I'm not sure if she's close to letting out her fry. Her bottom seems to be black I don't know if its normal. I don't know when I should separate her from the rest of the tank. Any advice? I'm going to try to attach some pictures of her.

image-2841112972.jpg

image-2300569588.jpg

image-3470577339.jpg

image-993797164.jpg

image-603416882.jpg

I tried some but can't get any better she doesn't stop moving. Hopefully it helps if not ill try some more. Thanks guys!! All the knowledge possible will be appreciated.

Hi

She's at least 2 weeks away from having the fry, what you want to look out for is her belly squaring off try looking at her from behind if she's got the boxed look then she will be due soon,

Hi

She's at least 2 weeks away from having the fry, what you want to look out for is her belly squaring off try looking at her from behind if she's got the boxed look then she will be due soon,

Oh thanks so much :)
I dont want her to have them in my community tank or else they'll all be eaten

Have you got a breeding box for her to have the fry in ?

Have you got a breeding box for her to have the fry in ?

Yes I do. I have that one that had the net around. But I'm tryin to find the plastic ones where once she has them they fall to the bottom and won't get eaten. Idk is there any other better way?

The best thing would be to have a nano tank put some plants in and put her in there then the fry can hide in the plants and once she's had them all you can move her back to the bigger tank, if you can't do that then yeah keep them in the birthing box for a few weeks till there big enuff to go in with the other fish

Yes I do. I have that one that had the net around. But I'm tryin to find the plastic ones where once she has them they fall to the bottom and won't get eaten. Idk is there any other better way?

I have been told that the bet ones are better, but I don't know why. I think because they circulate water to the fry better, and trash can fall out of the bottom of it easier. I guess the plastic would be better for what you are trying to do.

I have used both, and the only negative to the net one is that it will grow algae if you use it continuously for a long time.

I have been told that the bet ones are better, but I don't know why. I think because they circulate water to the fry better, and trash can fall out of the bottom of it easier. I guess the plastic would be better for what you are trying to do.

I have used both, and the only negative to the net one is that it will grow algae if you use it continuously for a long time.

Thanks you! I'm going to try and find a separate tank for a cheap price and see if I fill it with plants. Might be healthier for both the mother and fry :)

Thanks you! I'm going to try and find a separate tank for a cheap price and see if I fill it with plants. Might be healthier for both the mother and fry :)

That could work, and you will have to have that heater. Be sure to remove the mother after she births. She will eat them.

It's not hard once you learn.

I saw this breeder i think it's called a nursery where the mother has the fry and the flow of the water takes it to a separate container away from the mother. I don't know if its any better.

I saw this breeder i think it's called a nursery where the mother has the fry and the flow of the water takes it to a separate container away from the mother. I don't know if its any better.

That would be awesome. Where did you find that? I may have to get one of those.

My lfs sells them they're called an automatic circulating hatchery or something like that, and it's made by penn plex

Would you recommend one of these? Is it worth buying one of them besides the usually breeder?

Not if you remove the momma right away, last time one of mine had fry, she gave birth overnight and i have at least 30 fry from her.

Back
Top Bottom