Pregnant guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richie Ealea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my male and two female guppies for 17 days now . I believe one was already pregnant . This means I don't know how long she has had then in the oven ! She looks absolutely huge but I don't know when to put her in the breeder . This whole squaring off business is driving me crazy . I can't see it being that obvious ? Pleaseeee help me ! Lol . Thanks . X

Pregnant Guppy

I have had my male and two female guppies for 17 days now . I believe one was already pregnant . This means I don't know how long she has had then in the oven ! She looks absolutely huge but I don't know when to put her in the breeder . This whole squaring off business is driving me crazy . I can't see it being that obvious ? Pleaseeee help me ! Lol . Thanks . X

Hello Rich...

You don't have to move the female. If you've prepared your tank for Livebearing fish, like Guppies, then moving them isn't needed. I've kept Livebearers for several years and haven't moved any fish. It's stressful for you and the fish. You can easily injure the fish and then you've lost it and the fry.

Keep the tank water pure with large, weekly water changes. Heavily plant the tank with Hornwort, Pennywort and Common water weed (Anacharis). Just drop as many of the stems into the tank as possible. The plants provide privacy for the female and hiding places for the fry. These plants grow without planting them. So, you don't disturb the tank. Add a bit of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of treated, water change water. A teaspoon or a bit more is enough. I believe that's 6 or 7 milliliters for you guys across the pond. Make the new water a bit warmer than what's already in the tank, about 80 degrees F. or 26.7 C.

Feed a good diet with mostly frozen foods and feed often. Well fed adult fish aren't likely to bother the fry.

That's how I take care of my Livebearers.

B

Thanks brad . Very useful advice . Could you help me on specifically how to know she is ready to give birth ? Sometimes I look at her and think yeah she's surely ready other times I look at her I feel she has a bit longer . X

Your Guppy

Thanks brad . Very useful advice . Could you help me on specifically how to know she is ready to give birth ? Sometimes I look at her and think yeah she's surely ready other times I look at her I feel she has a bit longer . X

Hello again Rich...

Female livebearing fish can hold their young for as long as they feel conditions aren't right for fry survival. The female's underside will go from rounded to almost square. She'll stay very still and lean against a floating plant or lay on a leaf to support herself, so she doesn't have to spend any energy swimming. I've seen this a number of times. The best thing you can do is get some floating plants into the tank and keep the tank water pure.

B

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395701805.361667.jpg here is a pic . Tends to fluctuate in size though it's weird . I'd say she's at her smallest at the minute . X

Back
Top Bottom