Pregnant guppy again ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishaFishay

Aquarium Advice Regular
So on Christmas day my female guppy gave birth to 2 fry which are in the breeder box as seen on the photos . It was unnexpected since she's so small and I'm guessing she came pregnant because the only make in the tank is a Molly . How can I tell when she isn't pregnant anymore .

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1420592284486.jpg
    1420592284486.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 1420592307229.jpg
    1420592307229.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 91
They can store sperm for quite a while and have groups of fry back to back so don't be too surprised if she gets pregnant again even without a male present. Also she might hold it for a while and be pregnant way later not just back to back.

FYI- gestation for them is just shy of a month. Around 28 days

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I guess I'll have to put her in the Breeding box :eek:. Can a 3 week old guppy fry survive out of the box ? Btw my filter isn't strong enough to pick up fish poop and the biggest fish in the tank is aproxametly 3 inch. There's a female betta in the tank too but she gets along with the other fish .

If you aren't sure she is pregnant I wouldn't put her in the box. It is kinda mean to leave her in such a small space. You could let the fry out but with a betta even female they will most likely get eaten. I would add a lot of floating plants. It will help the chances of the fry surviving.

When would be a good time to let the fry out ? Age wise :what:

I don't do anything with mind honestly. I float a lot of plants in the tank and let nature kinda do its thing. The tank only has guppies, RCS and a couple shrimp

A male molly , two ghost shrimp , and that's preety much it .

They can store sperm and make babies over and over for a long time

Ok. So not too bad- the bigger the fish the more likely the babies will get eaten. Usually once ours make it like a week or two they're good. It honestly depends how aggressive the male molly is. Guppies eat their own fry too but mollies are bigger so he might try more than the guppies will

The molly isn't aggressive other than constantly trying to mate with my other femaleguppy

It might be mean but I do not save fry I let nature take course. My first time owning them I saved all the fry I could lets just say my 20L was over run in two months. I went from three guppies to 600 in that time span lol. So I just leave it up to the fry to survive by themselves. The guppies in my 5 are in their for their fry to be a live food for my ADFs and what does not get eaten will go to my LFS.

5 gallon planted(1m/2f guppy and 2 ADFs)
10 gallon planted divided Betta(1 male and 1 female)

Back
Top Bottom