Pregnant Guppy - Signs of Delivery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a guppy, that I believe is pregnant. She has a dark gravid spot, and over the last week or so, her belly area has gotten a lot plumper, and her upper torso looks a little bigger as well. She is now in a breeding net/box with some plastic plants.

How do I know if she is pregnant for sure? Also, if she is pregnant, how do I know when the event is going to happen? What are the signs? What do I look for? I don't want to keep the poor lady in the breeding net if she's not going to give birth for another week or so.

Thanks!

i posted this previously att http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=11550

I put my pregnant female guppy in the breeder thingy this morning and returned home from work to a full tank of babies.

I think I have worked out how to get the timing right for when guppies are about to give birth within a day

1. Their bellies get very large and slightly long which makes the side the profile of the underside of their belly to look a bit flat
2. The female guppy starts to look for quiet hiding spot near the gravel to give birth
3. the large dark spot on either side and to the rear of the female starts to look slightly specked. These are the babies

Guppy Delivery

Hi,

LondonGman's tips are right on, but generally, in my decades of observation, they prefer to hover, almost motionless near the surface, completely surrounded by thick vegetation (real or plastic). Their breathing becomes slightly rapid and they will occasionally twitch in an "S" pattern which is a move they use to help dislodge the babies. The process can take from 2 hours to 2 days. Happy birthing! - Guppyman

Guppyman, you're so right! One of my pregnant guppies was acting like that for the last couple of days. Finally, today she was acting more like herself, which makes me think there are fry somewhere. Earlier this week, my other (formerly) pregnant guppy was the same. They both hover near the surface in the biggest plant.

The first guppy already has her pre-baby figure back! :D

Ok, well she is definitly hovering. She is in a breeding box with plants, and she is staying towards the bottom. Hopefully another day or so! I definitly believe she is pregnant!

I will keep you guys posted. This will be my first (of many, I am sure) guppy/livebearer birth! I am so excited! Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom