Pregnant? Its my sisters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah glo fish shouldnt be able to have offspring, they are designed to be infertile to prevent contamination and population of live river systems.

aww that's sad that people would design fish so they cant have babies
they are simply modified zebra danios infused dna with jellyfish to be brighter in color. They designed them to be able to determine water quality in river systems. The brighter the color, the better quality the water, and the duller the color, the more pollutants.

ive heard that TK1 and TK2 japanese glofish are 90% sterile to prevent breeding populations. The breeding and sale of them is supposedly copywrited so they made the males infertile. Now breeding a female with a male zebra danio might be possible.

I was just wondering, I dug around a bit on their site to see if they mentioned it but there isn't any direct reference to it. They do mention that they make sure the genetic lines are never stronger than wild type zebras in various aspects.

There are many reports of glo-fish interbreeding, but I've not researched them any further. I've not tried it personally. 10% is a big number on the large scale of things, so it's definitely possible.

Being that they are genetically engineered rather than wild caught, I wonder what methods they employ to make them sterile. It would make more sense to have them fertile so that they reproduce (at the manufacturer) and then at some point sterilize before shipping them off for sale.

yeah i was just wondering the same thing.. maybe some kind of chemical bath or something.. who knows. Im not even positive that they are infertile, just what ive always heard. Could just be rumors passed around to detour breeding populations so they dont lose the financial side of the selling of them.

maybe they never stock the same sellers with both sexes and therefor limit breeding populations? I know most local stores over the years when I was in florida stated that they were made sterile before receiving shipment.

maybe they never stock the same sellers with both sexes and therefor limit breeding populations?
I don't think they'd go to this much trouble, the ones I've seen in the stores are juveniles so they aren't even reliably sexable yet at that point. Unfortunately I think it's common for them to sell juveniles because I've spoken to more than one person about how they thought they weren't zebras because they were so much smaller in the store.

It does take some skill to breed out egg scatterers, so it's not like throwing a bunch of guppies in a tank and adding water.

I know most local stores over the years when I was in florida stated that they were made sterile before receiving shipment.
I don't know much about the science behind that, so I have no idea of how a process like that would even work. LFS workers, even at a good lfs, probably wouldn't know first-hand because they aren't likely to successfully spawn in the LFS setting anyhow.

That's a neat article, most of it is greek to me, but looks like it might be the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom