Pregnant Kuhli Loach! What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnailorJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I currently have 4 striped Kuhli loaches in a 20 gallon (plus some tetras and nerite snails). It's planted and has driftwood, which is where they spend post of their time. I recently noticed one or two of my loaches got super thick through the middle with a distended stomach and the color seemed to be faded as if stretched. I did some research as I was concerned, and it sounds like my loach is definitely pregnant! She keeps getting bigger and bigger. I'm not sure if it's just one loach that's pregnant or if two are, and I haven't been able to get a picture. My questions are:
Does it sound as if my loach is indeed pregnant? If so, how can I take care of it? I haven't been able to find much info other than it will lay the eggs in a floating plant and I should move them to another thank. I have a 10 gallon with my beta in it, so I could divide that or add a breeder net to it maybe?

I have no experience breeding anything, so any advice is appreciated!

congrats on the kuhli loach family :3 i always wanted to get my hands on em what you would probably want is an easy found cheap plant called i beleive anacharchis i think it can be floated or planted doesnt matter their usually about 1$ at my lfs get a bunch and just float them the eggs stick to the plants but if some dont they'll sink so get some java moss(5$) the eggs will be somewhat greeni would divide the betta tank and add the kuhli's there try to find the slender and skinny ones that are mostly males add the fat female and about two males just a note if you have a filter for ur betta leave it on betta side afterwards they'll chase each other around then the female finally deposits the eggs and they float strait up! for a while though afterwards take out the adults i suggest adding some peat moss to the tank also

I'm so excited! Thanks for all the info! I was finally able to get a picture of her today...You can see the green eggs in her belly, so cool! I'm leaving tomorrow night for the whole weekend, so hopefully I can divide and set up the beta tank before then. I'm afraid she'll lay the eggs while I'm gone if I don't. I have some anacharis I could snip and float with them, but I also have some ludwigia ovalis that would probably work too and is already in the beta tank. I can't get java moss at any of the stores around here, but I have a friend who has some that I can get it from...probably not until next week though :/

I'm pretty sure my loaches are split 50/50 two females and one male, but I think only the one female is pregnant. The other is just a little thicker. I think I'll move them all over though so the lone female doesn't get stressed. Thanks again for all the advice! Did I mention I'm excited? :D

Attachments

• IMG_3908.jpg
    IMG_3908.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_3909.jpg
    IMG_3909.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 2,754
Hmm it seems that my pictures aren't showing up! I'll try again.

Attachments

• IMG_3908.jpg
    IMG_3908.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 3,796
  • IMG_3909.jpg
    IMG_3909.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 2,370
I am soooo excited for you!!! Please keep us up to date! Hope all goes well.?

Thank you!! I will! I divided the betta tank and moved my loaches over before I left last night for the weekend. I have some ludwigia a floating and the ground is covered with driftwood and a fake plant similar to myrio, so that should catch any eggs that fall. I found out I have 2 females and 2 males, and guess what? I'm pretty sure BOTH females are pregnant! Crazy, right? I hope they lay their eggs closely together, because I don't want them all to get eaten. The loaches found their way on to my betta's side of the tank when I was moving them because they were panicking and I moved them back, so hopefully they stay on their side of the tank when I'm gone :/

I'll post updates when somethings happens! :D

So, an update.....They still appear to be pregnant, and no eggs. I have no idea how long loaches are supposed to be pregnant for and I can't find any information about this on the internet. However, it seems like this is a loooong time for them to be pregnant. I first noticed the one female looking very thick when I returned from a month-long vacation at the beginning of January, so it's been almost exactly 2 months. However, I'd probably say I've noticed her belly looking greenish for about a month. It doesn't seem like anyone has much experience either, but I'd appreciate any help I can get!

Quick update: I seem to have maybe answered my own question in a way. It's quite possible that my females are carrying eggs, but that they will never actually be fertilized. I found many people saying their females constantly have eggs, but that they've never gotten babies out of it. That's kind of disappointing. However, last week when I first turned on my lights when I woke up, I noticed both of my females and one of my males swimming up and down the side of the tank and through the floating plants, just like they would if they were about to spawn. Still, no babies, but maybe there's a chance they will be fertilized. I guess I'll have to keep waiting!

i suggest putting them in your 10 gallon tank, females only, with a sponge filter( so the kids don't get sucked in by a regular one), preferably put the betta in a separate tank, he/she would do fine in a 3-5 gallon for the time being, keep some duck weed, java moss in the tank without substrate. the java moss and banana plants and duck weed are all fast growing plants that will help the waters ph, give the kids hiding spots etc. i haven't bred kuhli loaches(although i own some) but these are the guide lines i use when breeding fish.no substrate makes it easier to clean the tank.keep up with water changes, theyre bottom feeders so im sure they eat what the adults do just smaller pieces. i hoope this helped in some way.this is just my guide when it comes to bettas, cat fish, goldfish, adfs, snails, im sure these fellas follow similar rules. do some more research but i wish u the best!

Kuhli loaches are extremely hard to breed and there has only been a few cases were someone had bred them.
When there is numerous ones they will swim up and down the tank together as if they were playing.

Hi, I have 4 kuli loaches and love them too :). I came across a book yesterday on them and their breeding... I'm sure it would help a lot. I was thinking about getting it myself. It was on Amazon if your willing to spend the cash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom