Pregnant Mollie and Tiger Barb?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atrbigred95

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 56 gallon tank with 5 tiger barbs 3 green tiger barbs, 2 bala sharks, and 2 mollies (one male and one female).

First I will start with the Mollie. My golddust Mollie has grown a huge belly over the past few days and I am almost sure she is pregnant. I dont have any live plants just fake plants and fake coral reef. I was wondering if there was any chance for the mollie to have the babies and they live without being ate and if there are any specific things to make sure that happens.

Now time for the Tiger barb. Over the past one tiger barb has grown a very large belly so I think this one is most likely pregnant. I have seen alot of pictues online of pregnant tiger barbs and mine looks identical to the ones in the picture. Now I dont know much at all about the tiger barbs and them having babies but I would like to try and make sure all of them dont die if she haves them. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to try and help this. I have heard some people say you need to catch the pregnant barb and put her in a seperate tank. Well since I have had my tank I have been unable to catch a barb because of how fast they are and I really dont have another tank to put one in if I caught her. The most I would be able to do it possibly like a fish bowl. So please any suggestions would help.

First il start with the Molly
They'll have their baby's in aprox. 1 month of a male and female being together. They have a very dark spot on the belly called a gravid spot. You might be able to see the eyes of the babies. As long is there is a lot of hiding spots that only fry can get into at least half will survive.

Tiger barbs are egg layers and they eat their eggs fast as they lay them....I have 8 good luck trying to save them......the mollie is a live bearer and don't be surprised that they will still get eaten at some point they are in their with tiger barbs (I feed my platy fry to my tiger barbs to control population in my tank).....good luck

Well could I catch the tiger barb and put him in a mesh bag? Or catch the Mollie in the the bag to so the babies dont get eaten?

If you want to breed the tiger barbs wait til they lay and fertilize the eggs then remove all fish

For mollies take out your female put her in a new tank and remove her after she gives birth

I honestly wouldn't bother trying to keep any fry or hatch any eggs especially the tiger barbs. Unless you have somewhere to keep them then sell them

Best way i have found to breed tiger barbs is to put gravid female and male in separate tank with a couple layers of egg create (light diffuser) in the bottom so that when she lays her eggs they will fall onto the gaps then the male will still come over and fertilize them without being able to get close enough to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom