pregnant mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arangarajan93

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 pregnant mollies in a community tank. 1 orange spotted and another 1 orange molly. What is the process for breeding them?

arangarajan93 said:
I have 2 pregnant mollies in a community tank. 1 orange spotted and another 1 orange molly. What is the process for breeding them?

They stay pregnant for 28-31 days. If u don't have a breeder box and want to keep the fry go buy one. If u do buy a breeder box put the Mollie in there when she is 24 days. Also since you have 2 prego mollies u might need 2 breeder boxes.

you could probably get a breeder box on ebay. the only other way short of setting up a small isolation tank is to let them give birth in your community tank, is it well planted?.

Pete

No it is not well planted. It ha only 2 fake plants.(Do fake plants work well??). One of my friend suggested me to introduce the pregnant mollies alone in a fish bowl with a small live plant during breeding. Is that ok?!

arangarajan93 said:
No it is not well planted. It ha only 2 fake plants.(Do fake plants work well??). One of my friend suggested me to introduce the pregnant mollies alone in a fish bowl with a small live plant during breeding. Is that ok?!

Yes but u can only have little substrate and would have to do a 50% pwc everyday

ok thank you very much for your suggestion fishman13. Can you give me the exact procedure or steps involved in this process? Thank you. :)

ok thank you very much for your suggestion fishman13. Can you give me the exact procedure or steps involved in this process? Thank you. :)

no problem for the help. Anytime.

here we go :(:(:( lol :eek::eek::eek::eek:

DO THIS WHEN THE FISH IS 20 DAYS PREGO.

1. fill the bowl 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch of gravel or sand.

2. fill with water and put water conditioner in it.

3. do 50% pwc without the fish for 3 -5 days.

4. put 1 fish in.

5. do a 50% pwc until you take her out.

It is been past 4 days since i put my 2 prego mollies in the bowl with a male molly. But no fries so far!!! So, what should i do now?! One more molly is prego now in my main tank. Should i remove the male molly from the bowl?! And can i add the another prego molly in the bowl?! Thanks in advance!

arangarajan93 said:
It is been past 4 days since i put my 2 prego mollies in the bowl with a male molly. But no fries so far!!! So, what should i do now?! One more molly is prego now in my main tank. Should i remove the male molly from the bowl?! And can i add the another prego molly in the bowl?! Thanks in advance!

Yep, but the male molly back in your main tank. If th females are already pregnant, you don't need the male in there with them at the moment. Do you know how many days they have been pregnant for?

Have they squared off yet? When they are within a day or so of giving birth, the underneath will be flat instead of rounded. A bit like this \__/ instead of this U.

Other signs include hanging out in quiet areas of the tank, not moving much. Mine hung around just above the filter.

I would definitely have only the females in the birthing tank at the moment. Watch them very closely. They usually have their fry late at night or early morning and will probably eat a lot of their fry. When my Molly had hers, we ended up with only 2 fry. The best thing to do is to have something the fry can hide in. Fine leaved plants are good, or I've read about how to make your own spawning mop. I imagine that might work just as well too. It might be worth looking it up :)

One of my female balloon mollies is round but hasn't been any more rounder for forever, I think she may be infertile.

One of my female prego molly died yesterday night, :-( !! I think she died due to suffocation coz my plant had grown a little! Or she died of some other reasons. In the following week i ll go to LFS and get a smaller live plant or get larger ones and keep them in my main tank. So i ll keep also the prego mollies in my main tank back again and when the fries come out, they can hide behind the plants. Is this ok?!!!

One of my female prego molly died yesterday night, :-( !! I think she died due to suffocation coz my plant had grown a little! Or she died of some other reasons. In the following week i ll go to LFS and get a smaller live plant or get larger ones and keep them in my main tank. So i ll keep also the prego mollies in my main tank back again and when the fries come out, they can hide behind the plants. Is this ok?!!!

yes that's fine. The Molly that died, was she in the fishbowl or the tank?

Back
Top Bottom