pregnant molly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vicshaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive got a balloon molly and I think she's pregnant. I havent had her long though, only a couple of weeks. Recently she has become very fat indeed nut i Thought all balloon mollies look fat anyway. Her stomach is extremely huge and she looks like a little blob with fins will someone give me some advice please!!

Well, she's probably preggers. Yo can get various birthing nets, they hang on the side of the tank. Several different designs, don't know what's avaiable to you in the UK. Some are made so you put mom in, and the babies will fall into a separate chamber after birth, so neither she nor any other fish can eat them. Other kinds are a simple net, mom and kids stay together, but she might eat them.

I always had just the net, and would let mom give birth in the tank, catch as many babies as i could, and put them in the net. Mom would never cooperate and do it while i was home, so mortality rates were high. If i ever get livebearers again, I'll try the 2 chamber type.

I've had a ton of babies with my mollies, and I usually let nature take it's course and such, otherwise I would have hundreds of mollies. If you want to keep the babies, just put the mother in a breeding net (I usually put in some small plants to provide cover and releave stress). Then finely crumbled flake seems to work well.

Back
Top Bottom