Pregnant or sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaddyD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I thought this fish was pregnant but then I thought back on it further... I originally thought this fish was a male! So now I think it has dropsy....
Oh and my water conditions are fine. Established tank. I did lose a platy a few weeks ago, but not to dropsy.
Help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1446712034076.jpg
    1446712034076.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 1446712044690.jpg
    1446712044690.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 1446712066402.jpg
    1446712066402.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 56
It looks male to me as well, but it's hard to tell from the pics. Do you think you could get a better pic of the anal fin?

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Regardless of sex the fish appears to have dropsy IMO.
I would remove the fish from main tank so it does not die and have other fish feed on it.
This is how seemingly from no where months down the road yet another fish gets sick.
Dropsy is a more a symptom then true disease.
Bacterial issues along with water quality are usually the cause.
All too often when a fish appears in this condition it is too late for recovery as internal organ damage has taken place and this is what the swelling is from.
Sorry.

Thanks for the responses!
I'll try and get a better pic tonight. I did remove him from the main tank the same day I post these. He's still alive actively swimming and getting a treatment but I've read what you said that if I notice it, it's probably too late for recovery. Bummer. I'm having fun with my Angelfish fry. I really thought I would have Platy fry first.

Here's pic

Attachments

• 1446883959013.jpg
    1446883959013.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 64
Here's pic

He looks to have dropsy. His scales look like they are starting to "pine cone"

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I put him in a quarantine tank and he's still active and started trying to eat again yesterday so I'll keep posted! :ermm:

Well he lost some of the bloat and the fins actually went back down. But he would never finish the food he tried to chew and eventually died.
Thanks for the responses though! if I hadn't thought he was pregnant so long the treatment I gave him may have worked.

Back
Top Bottom